* Re: Plans for fixing libio on i386-linux-gnulibc1?
@ 1997-09-26 23:25 Hugh W. Holbrook
From: Hugh W. Holbrook @ 1997-09-26 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khan; +Cc: egcs

I solved these problems for egcs-970917 on my linux/i386 system by
applying HJ Lu's libio patches and by installing libc-5.4.39 before
building egcs.  The patched version of egcs-970917 built a libstdc++
that seems to work fine and allows you to use the cstdio stuff, as well.

HJ Lu's patch to 970917 is available at
ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl/egcs-970917.io.diff.gz

-Hugh

@ 1997-09-28  0:34 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1997-09-28  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugh W. Holbrook; +Cc: egcs

"Hugh W. Holbrook" <holbrook@dsg.stanford.edu> writes:

> I solved these problems for egcs-970917 on my linux/i386 system by
> applying HJ Lu's libio patches and by installing libc-5.4.39 before
> building egcs.  The patched version of egcs-970917 built a libstdc++
> that seems to work fine and allows you to use the cstdio stuff, as well.
>
> HJ Lu's patch to 970917 is available at
> ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl/egcs-970917.io.diff.gz
>
> -Hugh

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out against 970924 and see what happens.
I guess I'd like to see these HJL fixes incorporated into egcs, and have
these work with "standard" distributions like RedHat 4.1/4.2 etc (which
run libc 5.3.12) without having to upgrade libc if at all possible.

Considering the strides made in egcs compared to gcc2, I'm quite confident
we'll have a viable alternative to other commercial C++ tools I have to
resort to now (mostly EDG based -- eg Kai on Unix). Thanks to all the
great work by Merrill/Stump/Mitchell et al, it's a reachable goal now.

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

* Re: Plans for fixing libio on i386-linux-gnulibc1?
@ 1997-09-28  0:51   ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-09-28  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: Hugh W. Holbrook, egcs

  In message < 199709280732.CAA12094@hp2.xraylith.wisc.edu >you write:
  > I guess I'd like to see these HJL fixes incorporated into egcs, and have
  > these work with "standard" distributions like RedHat 4.1/4.2 etc (which
  > run libc 5.3.12) without having to upgrade libc if at all possible.
Well, I just checked in a libio patch from Ulrich, which was based on
some code from HJ.  Hopefully we'll have these problems resolved soon.

Jeff

* Re: Plans for fixing libio on i386-linux-gnulibc1?
@ 1997-09-26 21:05 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-09-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 9709270001.AA00675@modi.xraylith.wisc.edu >you write:
  > What's the current forecast for a working libio under i386-linux? It
  > seems to work ok for C, but useless for C++ + cstdio (bugs have been
  > reported already, so I wouldn't repeat those here).
  >
  > I notice that libio has the new Ulrich stuff, so is it just a matter of
  > manually "fixing" _G_CONFIG_H to make things work?
  >
  > If it's not obvious already, I'm a clueless libio newbie ;-)
Hopefully some of these problems will be fixed with Ulrich's latest
patch (will be in next snapshot).  But not being a linux user/developer
I don't really know what systems his patch will fix problems for.

jeff

* Re: Plans for fixing libio on i386-linux-gnulibc1?
@ 1997-09-26 17:28   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1997-09-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: egcs

@ 1997-09-26 17:14 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-09-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: egcs

> What's the current forecast for a working libio under i386-linux? It
> seems to work ok for C, but useless for C++ + cstdio (bugs have been
> reported already, so I wouldn't repeat those here).

Shouldn't it be possible to set up libstdc++ not to include the iostreams
stuff, like it is on other Unices?  That way it would be easier for users
to try out experimental C++ versions without disrupting their libc.

It appears that this can be done just by editing libio/config/linux.mt
(or linuxlibc1.mt) and following the directions under

# Comment this out to avoid including the stdio functions in libiostream.a:

It appears that it would be experimental, but hey, we're egcs.

My dream is to make it as easy to try out a new g++ / (libg++ , libstdc++)
release on Linux as it is on Solaris: just build and go, no need to
replace your key system libraries.

* Plans for fixing libio on i386-linux-gnulibc1?
@ 1997-09-26 17:01 Mumit Khan