From: Bradley Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu>
To: mrs@apple.com
Cc: Bradley Lucier <lucier@math.purdue.edu>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Is it time to start using 4.0?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:20:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Re:

> We expect that the quality of the compiler is close to release
> quality, generally, I'd say that we like to keep it near release
> quality, though, bear in mind, if you get unlucky, you may find some
> temporal instabilities.

Well, I must be really unlucky, since 4.0 has never correctly compiled
C code generated by the Gambit-C 4.0 beta Scheme->C compiler.  It's
true that about once a month somebody fixes something that gets rid of
another code generation problem, but I'll consider 4.0 "close to
release quality" when I can start testing code generation quality and
compiler run times rather than code generation correctness.

Brad

PS:  If anyone can tell me which version, if any, of gdb on either x86
linux, sparc solaris 9, or MacOS 10.3.6, can give me accurate debug
information for code compiled by 4.0 with options

FLAGS_OBJ = -O1 -fno-math-errno -fschedule-insns2 -fno-trapping-math
-fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC

I would really appreciate it.