* Re: Is it time to start using 4.0?
@ 2004-11-22  4:20 Bradley Lucier
From: Bradley Lucier @ 2004-11-22  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: Bradley Lucier, gcc

Re:

> We expect that the quality of the compiler is close to release
> quality, generally, I'd say that we like to keep it near release
> quality, though, bear in mind, if you get unlucky, you may find some
> temporal instabilities.

Well, I must be really unlucky, since 4.0 has never correctly compiled
C code generated by the Gambit-C 4.0 beta Scheme->C compiler.  It's
true that about once a month somebody fixes something that gets rid of
another code generation problem, but I'll consider 4.0 "close to
release quality" when I can start testing code generation quality and
compiler run times rather than code generation correctness.

Brad

PS:  If anyone can tell me which version, if any, of gdb on either x86
linux, sparc solaris 9, or MacOS 10.3.6, can give me accurate debug
information for code compiled by 4.0 with options

FLAGS_OBJ = -O1 -fno-math-errno -fschedule-insns2 -fno-trapping-math
-fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC

I would really appreciate it.

* Re: Is it time to start using 4.0?
@ 2004-11-22  1:31 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2004-11-22  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean darcy; +Cc: gcc

On Saturday, November 20, 2004, at 11:06  AM, sean darcy wrote:
> I'm using 3.4.3.  I realize 4.0 isn't released and isn't suitable fro
> production work, whatever that means.

Depends on how close to the edge you like to live.  If you just want it
to work, without any hassles, wait until the release.  If you like to
test pre-production software, and like filing bug reports, or want to
verify that the release of gcc 4.0.0 will work well with your software,
before the 4.0.0 release, then now is a good time to test it out.  If
you want us to tell you the benefits for your software, wait until the
release; if you want to tell us what the benefits to your software is,
then test it now, and let us know.

If you do decide to test it out, things to watch for would be
compilation speed and generated code quality.

This is why, we cannot answer your question, as the question has more
to do with you, than with us.  We expect that the quality of the

@ 2004-11-21  6:24 ` Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2004-11-21  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean darcy; +Cc: gcc

sean darcy <seandarcy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, there's little I cou;ld find about the expected benefits - to the
end
> user - of the shift to the 4.0 architecture. Conformance? Speed of
> compilation? Quality of code produced - size? speed? Or does the modular
> nature allow for all these good things once the base works? IOW, wait for
> 4.1?

FYI, I am planning to include this user-level information into
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html as we approach the release.
--
Giovanni Bajo

* Is it time to start using 4.0?
@ 2004-11-21  0:24 sean darcy
From: sean darcy @ 2004-11-21  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm using 3.4.3.  I realize 4.0 isn't released and isn't suitable fro
production work, whatever that means.

But, does 4.0 generate sufficiently better code ( athlon ) to make it worth
the issues that may still remain?

FWIW, there's little I cou;ld find about the expected benefits - to the end
user - of the shift to the 4.0 architecture. Conformance? Speed of
compilation? Quality of code produced - size? speed? Or does the modular
nature allow for all these good things once the base works? IOW, wait for
4.1?

sean