* Procedure to submit new port (CR16 processor)
@ 2007-06-13  8:08 Pompapathi V Gadad
From: Pompapathi V Gadad @ 2007-06-13  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,
I have a new port for CR16 (National Semiconductor's 16-bit processor)
for submission. While I was searching the mail archives, I found
following steps are required for submitting the patches to GCC:
1. Submit the patches for reviewing and approval to gcc-patches mailing
list. After approval, it is eligible for checking into the GCC SVN
repository.
2. Obtain a method of committing the patches to GCC repository. One of
them is to acquire write permissions to at least the port specific
portions of GCC SVN repository. After approval, the port maintainer can
check in the port specific files.

My GCC assignment/disclaimer process with the FSF is complete. It would
be greatly appreciated, if someone can provide information about the
following:
a) Can the write permissions to port specific files can be obtained even
before submitting the files? How to get GCC SVN write permissions?
b) I would also like to maintain the CRX (National Semiconductor's
32-bit processor) port. What is the procedure to request transfer in
maintainership of CRX port? If there is no such thing called "transfer
of maintainership", then would it be possible to co-maintain the CRX port?

Thanks in advance,
Pompa

-------------------------------------
Pompapathi V Gadad
CR Tool Chain Team
National Semiconductor Corporation

* Re: Procedure to submit new port (CR16 processor)
@ 2007-06-13 17:47 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-06-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pompapathi V Gadad; +Cc: gcc

"Pompapathi V Gadad" <Pompapathi.V.Gadad@nsc.com> writes:

> My GCC assignment/disclaimer process with the FSF is complete. It
> would be greatly appreciated, if someone can provide information about
> the following:
> a) Can the write permissions to port specific files can be obtained
> even before submitting the files? How to get GCC SVN write permissions?

The first step is to send the proposed patch to gcc-patches.  Get the
patch approved, which will normally involve some give-and-take with
the maintainers.  Then apply for write permission to the SVN
repository, and commit the patch.

> b) I would also like to maintain the CRX (National Semiconductor's
> 32-bit processor) port. What is the procedure to request transfer in
> maintainership of CRX port? If there is no such thing called "transfer
> of maintainership", then would it be possible to co-maintain the CRX
> port?

The first step would be to talk to the current maintainer of the CRX
port, Paul Woegerer, and make sure that he agrees.

Usually the steering committee would like to see some track record of
successful patch submission before granting maintainer status.  For
example, it needs to be clear that you understand the basic
formatting, patch submission, and patch approval rules.  So you should
probably go through the exercise of submitting the CR16 port before
becoming maintainer of the CRX port.

This is all my personal take on things, not any sort of official
statement.

Ian

* Re: Procedure to submit new port (CR16 processor)
@ 2007-06-14  4:36   ` Pompapathi V Gadad
From: Pompapathi V Gadad @ 2007-06-14  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc

Hello Ian,
Thanks for the valuable information.

>> My GCC assignment/disclaimer process with the FSF is complete. It
>> would be greatly appreciated, if someone can provide information about
>> the following:
>> a) Can the write permissions to port specific files can be obtained
>> even before submitting the files? How to get GCC SVN write permissions?
>>

> The first step is to send the proposed patch to gcc-patches.  Get the
> patch approved, which will normally involve some give-and-take with
> the maintainers.  Then apply for write permission to the SVN
> repository, and commit the patch.

OK. Let me submit the patch for CR16 first and go through the approval
process.

>> b) I would also like to maintain the CRX (National Semiconductor's
>> 32-bit processor) port. What is the procedure to request transfer in
>> maintainership of CRX port? If there is no such thing called "transfer
>> of maintainership", then would it be possible to co-maintain the CRX
>> port?
>>
> The first step would be to talk to the current maintainer of the CRX
> port, Paul Woegerer, and make sure that he agrees.
>
> Usually the steering committee would like to see some track record of
> successful patch submission before granting maintainer status.  For
> example, it needs to be clear that you understand the basic
> formatting, patch submission, and patch approval rules.  So you should
> probably go through the exercise of submitting the CR16 port before
> becoming maintainer of the CRX port.

The email id of Paul Woegerer is not valid as he is not with National
anymore. Therefore, there is no way to contact Paul on this matter.
Our team in National has started handling tool chains related to CRX and
CR16 cores. May be, I should go ahead with submitting the CR16 port first.

Thanks a lot,
-Pompa