* Using MPC Library with GCC
@ 2009-04-27 18:54 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2009-04-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: GCC

At Kaveh's request, the SC has considered whether or not GCC can rely
upon the MPC library.  As Kaveh knows (as an SC member) the SC has
reviewed this decision and does not feel that the SC or the FSF need to
explicitly permit the use of a library whose license is compatible with
GPLv3, even if the library is not part of the GNU project.  In other
words, if the technical consensus is that such a library provides value,
then we can use it, without explicitly asking the FSF to sign off on
each individual library.

That is not a decision, however, on whether using MPC is or is not a
good idea.  There have been objections raised to MPC, on the grounds
that it may not build on all host systems, or that the costs it brings
in terms of complexity of building GCC outweigh its benefits.  We should
reach consensus on those issues before making a decision about whether
to depend upon it.  The SC could be involved there, if no decision can
be reached, but I hope that we can reach consensus and therefore avoid
having to ask the SC to arbitrate.

Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery
mark@codesourcery.com
(650) 331-3385 x713

* Re: Using MPC Library with GCC
@ 2009-05-13 10:12 FX
From: FX @ 2009-05-13 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, ghazi; +Cc: Fortran List

Thanks Kaveh for taking care of this. The Fortran front-end will
really benefit from the use of MPC. Regarding your options, #1 seems
the most reasonable to me; I'm forwarding to the Fortran list to hear
to opinion of Fortran maintainers.

FX