* archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 17:22 Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2009-05-06 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

It looks like a bunch of missing from
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
what could be the cause?

Paolo

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 17:28 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-05-06 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> It looks like a bunch of missing from
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
> what could be the cause?
>
> Paolo

  When was the great sourceware.org drive crash?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 17:34 ` Manuel López-Ibáñez
From: Manuel López-Ibáñez @ 2009-05-06 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc

2009/5/6 Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org>:
> It looks like a bunch of missing from
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
> what could be the cause?

Relevant PRs 20336, 20588, 3119.

Cheers,

Manuel.

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 17:35   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2009-05-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel López-Ibáñez; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, gcc

Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
> 2009/5/6 Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org>:
>> It looks like a bunch of missing from
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
>> what could be the cause?
>
> Relevant PRs 20336, 20588, 3119.

I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of the messages.

Andrew.

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 19:25     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2009-05-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Manuel López-Ibáñez, Paolo Bonzini, gcc

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
> > 2009/5/6 Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org>:
> >> It looks like a bunch of missing from
> >> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
> >> what could be the cause?
> >
> > Relevant PRs 20336, 20588, 3119.
>
> I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of the messages.

The conclusion in the overseers discussion referenced in 20588 was that
the files are present in the txt/ forms and what's needed is for someone
with the right access to create/modify and run the right script to
regenerate them.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 19:57     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-05-06 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: Manuel López-Ibáñez, Paolo Bonzini, gcc

Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

> Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>> 2009/5/6 Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org>:
>>> It looks like a bunch of missing from
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/ are missing.  Anybody knows
>>> what could be the cause?
>>
>> Relevant PRs 20336, 20588, 3119.
>
> I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of the messages.

I believe that we have a complete set of messages too.  Fixing the web
pages takes somebody with the time and energy to figure out what is
required.  The mailing list archives are built using mhonarc.  Any
volunteers?

Ian

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 22:25       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-05-06 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor
  Cc: Andrew Haley, Manuel López-Ibáñez, Paolo Bonzini, gcc

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>>> Relevant PRs 20336, 20588, 3119.
>> I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of the messages.
>
> I believe that we have a complete set of messages too.  Fixing the web
> pages takes somebody with the time and energy to figure out what is
> required.  The mailing list archives are built using mhonarc.  Any
> volunteers?

  I could have a rummage.  I have a little experience with mhonarc, having
installed and maintained some in-house mailing list archives in my last job.
I never had to rebuild an index, but I recall reading that it's fairly
straightforward to feed it emails in mbox format and get it to rebuild the
indices (which hopefully should all line-up as they were before rather than
result in any message numbers shifting about).

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 22:34         ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2009-05-06 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn
  Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Andrew Haley,
	Manuel López-Ibáñez, Paolo Bonzini, gcc

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Dave Korn wrote:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

> >> I'm pretty sure I have a complete set of the messages.
> >
> > I believe that we have a complete set of messages too.  Fixing the web
> > pages takes somebody with the time and energy to figure out what is
> > required.  The mailing list archives are built using mhonarc.  Any
> > volunteers?
>
>   I could have a rummage.  I have a little experience with mhonarc, having
> installed and maintained some in-house mailing list archives in my last job.
> I never had to rebuild an index, but I recall reading that it's fairly
> straightforward to feed it emails in mbox format and get it to rebuild the
> indices (which hopefully should all line-up as they were before rather than
> result in any message numbers shifting about).

I really recommend adapting Jason's script to regenerate from the .txt
versions and keep the message numbers the same; mboxes or qmail archives
will almost certainly get some of the numbers slightly different.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 22:43           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-05-06 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers
  Cc: Dave Korn, Ian Lance Taylor, Andrew Haley,

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, Dave Korn wrote:

>>   I could have a rummage.  I have a little experience with mhonarc, having
>> installed and maintained some in-house mailing list archives in my last job.
>> I never had to rebuild an index, but I recall reading that it's fairly
>> straightforward to feed it emails in mbox format and get it to rebuild the
>> indices (which hopefully should all line-up as they were before rather than
>> result in any message numbers shifting about).
>
> I really recommend adapting Jason's script to regenerate from the .txt
> versions and keep the message numbers the same; mboxes or qmail archives
> will almost certainly get some of the numbers slightly different.

  I see that MHonARc >= 2.6 supports this:

http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/reconvert.html

which I think also does what we want, without any worries about changing
message numbers or over-feeding it creating dups.  I'm just reading the script
to see if it does other important stuff besides.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 22:53             ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2009-05-06 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn
  Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, Andrew Haley,
	Manuel López-Ibáñez, Paolo Bonzini, gcc

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Dave Korn wrote:

>   I see that MHonARc >= 2.6 supports this:
>
> http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/reconvert.html
>
> which I think also does what we want, without any worries about changing
> message numbers or over-feeding it creating dups.  I'm just reading the script
> to see if it does other important stuff besides.

Given that the directory is corrupted, I wouldn't trust a reconvert script
to find the database in a suitable state.  Use
infra/ml-archiving/ml-regen-from-txtfiles.sh, as referenced in
<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/overseers/2004-q1/msg00152.html>, unless it
proves impossible to make it work.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: archives broken?
@ 2009-05-06 23:07               ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-05-06 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers
  Cc: Dave Korn, Ian Lance Taylor, Andrew Haley,

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2009, Dave Korn wrote:

> Given that the directory is corrupted, I wouldn't trust a reconvert script
> to find the database in a suitable state.  Use
> infra/ml-archiving/ml-regen-from-txtfiles.sh, as referenced in
> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/overseers/2004-q1/msg00152.html>, unless it
> proves impossible to make it work.

  That apparently requires to be run su mailarch, which is beyond my privs,
but I think I could usefully write a script to generate not-archived files for
the missing stuff with which to feed it.

    cheers,
      DaveK