* GCC documentation: info format
@ 2010-04-09 12:59 christophe.jarry
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: christophe.jarry @ 2010-04-09 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I am currently trying to include GCC documentation into gNewSense
distribution, in info format. While most of GNU software documentation
is available directly from GNU site in info format (see
http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html), I'm surprised to see this is
not the case for GCC. I would like to know if you could make info
documentation for GCC available on your website. If not, could you
please tell me how I can build it.

I tried to "makeinfo -I include/ gcc.texi" inside extracted
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/docs-sources.tar.gz directory, but have
the following error:

include//gcc-common.texi:12: @include `gcc-vers.texi': No such file or
directory.

Where may I find gcc-vers.texi?

Thanks,

Christophe

* Re: GCC documentation: info format
@ 2010-04-09 16:00 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-09 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christophe.jarry; +Cc: gcc

On 4/9/10 08:08 , christophe.jarry@ouvaton.org wrote:

> I tried to "makeinfo -I include/ gcc.texi" inside extracted
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/docs-sources.tar.gz directory, but have
> the following error:
>
> include//gcc-common.texi:12: @include `gcc-vers.texi': No such file or
> directory.

To build GCC's documentation, you should configure a build and then run
'make doc' from the GCC build directory:

$ mkdir bld && cd bld
$ ../gcc/configure && make info

Alternately, you can access the GCC documentation at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

Diego.

* Re: GCC documentation: info format
@ 2010-04-09 18:18 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2010-04-09 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christophe.jarry; +Cc: gcc

On 04/09/2010 05:08 AM, christophe.jarry@ouvaton.org wrote:
> Where may I find gcc-vers.texi?

It is created by the install.texi2html shell script, which also creates
the HTML output files that go on the web site.  You can probably modify
this script to generate info files instead, but as Diego mentioned, the
recommended way to produce info files is to configure and build a full
source tree.

Don't forget about the libstdc++-v3 docs which are not in the
docs-sources.tar.gz file.  Also, don't forget about the other docs which
are not in the gcc/doc directory.  "make info" in a build tree takes
care of this stuff for you.

Jim

* Re: GCC documentation: info format
@ 2010-04-09 22:16 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2010-04-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christophe.jarry; +Cc: gcc

On 04/09/2010 05:08 AM, christophe.jarry@ouvaton.org wrote:
> I am currently trying to include GCC documentation into gNewSense
> distribution, in info format.

The binutils response to the same question reminds me that the same
answer works here.  There are pre-built info files in our official
releases.  You can grab them from there.  I forgot about this because
I'm working from the development sources most of the time, and we don't
have pre-built copies there.

Jim