* Question about perl while bootstrapping gcc
@ 2010-04-16 18:54 Dominique Dhumieres
From: Dominique Dhumieres @ 2010-04-16 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!

I use to build gcc with a command line such as

make -j2 >& somelogfile &

I recently found that if I logout, the build fails with

perl: no user 501

Is this a bug or a feature? In the former case I'll open a PR.
In the later is it documented somewhere that you should not logout
while building gcc? If yes, is it possible to have a pointer?

TIA

Dominique

* Re: Question about perl while bootstrapping gcc
@ 2010-04-17 11:51 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2010-04-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Dhumieres; +Cc: gcc

On 04/16/2010 11:10 AM, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:
> I use to build gcc with a command line such as
> make -j2>&  somelogfile&
> I recently found that if I logout, the build fails with
> perl: no user 501

Try "nohup make ...".  See the man page or info manual for nohup.

Jim

* Re: Question about perl while bootstrapping gcc
@ 2010-04-17 16:34 ` Alexey Salmin
From: Alexey Salmin @ 2010-04-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Dominique Dhumieres

On 4/17/10, Alan Lehotsky <qsmgmt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Take a look at the at(1) or batch(1) commands if you really want to execute
> a command and logout while it's still running.

Or screen(1)

* Re: Question about perl while bootstrapping gcc
@ 2010-04-16 19:01 Alan Lehotsky
From: Alan Lehotsky @ 2010-04-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dominique Dhumieres, gcc

This is normal unix behavior (unless you have some kind of shell that I'm unfamiliar with.)

When you use & to create a subjob, it is still attached to your terminal session.