* Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28  1:47 Diego Novillo
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-28  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

This year GCC received 10 slots for Google Summer of Code.  The full
list of the accepted projects is at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode.

Unfortunately, we could not accept all the proposals.  But that should
not discourage folks from contributing, anyway.  To increase chances
of acceptance for future applications, please make sure to follow the
published guidelines.  There are various resources on the net with
suggestions on how to write a solid GSoC application, which we have
listed on the GCC wiki (http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode).

Congratulations to all the accepted applications.  Looking forward to
all those contributions!

Diego.

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28  8:47 ` Manuel López-Ibáñez
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Manuel López-Ibáñez @ 2010-04-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: gcc

I added some further guidelines to the wiki from my experience this
year as a reviewer and from observing other reviewers' comments.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode.

Cheers,

Manuel.

@ 2010-04-28  9:17 ` Janus Weil
From: Janus Weil @ 2010-04-28  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: gcc

> This year GCC received 10 slots for Google Summer of Code.  The full
> list of the accepted projects is at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode.

A quick question: Why is this list not available on the GSoC site for GCC?

http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2010/gcc

For other projects, one can find the list of accepted proposals on
their page, but not so for GCC (where instead one still sees the
application template). Is this something the GCC mentors can influence
in the web app, or should one contact the Google/Melange folks about
this issue?

> Congratulations to all the accepted applications.  Looking forward to
> all those contributions!

I want to say thanks for being accepted again. This is already the
fourth time I'm participating, and it has always been a pleasure to
work with the GCC community (and especially the gfortran
sub-community).

Cheers,
Janus

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28 12:46   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-28 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janus Weil; +Cc: gcc

On 4/28/10 04:47 , Janus Weil wrote:

> A quick question: Why is this list not available on the GSoC site for GCC?
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2010/gcc

Thanks for pointing that out.  I simply forgot to update that page.  I
will update it shortly.

@ 2010-04-28 12:59 ` Aina Niemetz
From: Aina Niemetz @ 2010-04-28 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: gcc

Hi folks,

i'm one of the students who didn't get accepted this year, unfortunately. This
doesn't lessen my motivation to get involved, though. Thus i decided to roll up
my sleeves and start to work on my proposed project anyway as i think it'd be
just perfect for getting familiar with the code base and the project as a whole.

The project I proposed addresses RTX traversals as a possible optimization
candidate for gaining some overall speedup. I plan to make the currently
recursive walks over the RTL non-recursive, which does especially affect
FOR_EACH_RTX and co. My proposal for GSoC is not public, so no link provided
here, but if you're interested i'd be happy to send it along.

I know that Paolo Bonzini tried something similar quite some time ago and i
would appreciate his thoughts on what i propose here, a lot. Further, some
comments of the reviewers of my proposal, whoever that might be, would be great,
too. That said, i have to add that i'd appreciate some feedback by anyone of you
very much :)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Aina

@ 2010-04-28 13:39   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-04-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aina Niemetz; +Cc: Diego Novillo, gcc

Aina Niemetz <aina.niemetz@gmail.com> writes:

> i'm one of the students who didn't get accepted this year, unfortunately. This
> doesn't lessen my motivation to get involved, though. Thus i decided to roll up
> my sleeves and start to work on my proposed project anyway as i think it'd be
> just perfect for getting familiar with the code base and the project as a whole.
>
> The project I proposed addresses RTX traversals as a possible optimization
> candidate for gaining some overall speedup. I plan to make the currently
> recursive walks over the RTL non-recursive, which does especially affect
> FOR_EACH_RTX and co. My proposal for GSoC is not public, so no link provided
> here, but if you're interested i'd be happy to send it along.
>
> I know that Paolo Bonzini tried something similar quite some time ago and i
> would appreciate his thoughts on what i propose here, a lot. Further, some
> comments of the reviewers of my proposal, whoever that might be, would be great,
> too. That said, i have to add that i'd appreciate some feedback by anyone of you
> very much :)

Thanks for your continued interest.  I think your proposal is a good
one.  I think there were two reasons that it didn't make the top ten.
The first is a question of scope: it seems like a project that should
take a couple of weeks, rather than the whole summer.  The second is
that it's not clear that it really will save compilation time;
recursion is not typically the fastest algorithm, but in order to walk
RTL you need to keep some form of stack.  When you have a trial
implementation you will have to do some measurements to confirm that
it is better.

Ian

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-28 20:17 ` Toon Moene
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Toon Moene @ 2010-04-28 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 04/28/2010 01:44 AM, Diego Novillo wrote:

> This year GCC received 10 slots for Google Summer of Code.

[ This is probably documented on the Google site somewhere,
   but I couldn't find it. ]

How is this division in "projects" determined ?

What makes GCC "good for" 10 slots ?

[ I was on the 2002 "Freenix" parallel-to-the-ordinary-Usenix
   program committee, and I remember the 3 day ordeal of figuring
   out which talks (sooo diverse) to accept ... ]

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28 20:22   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2010-04-28 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:34:43AM -0700, Toon Moene wrote:
> On 04/28/2010 01:44 AM, Diego Novillo wrote:
>
> > This year GCC received 10 slots for Google Summer of Code.
>
> [ This is probably documented on the Google site somewhere,
>    but I couldn't find it. ]
>
> How is this division in "projects" determined ?
>
> What makes GCC "good for" 10 slots ?

It's Google's money, so they get to decide.  Also, one of the
"GCC projects" appears to be a binutils project.

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28 21:45   ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2010-04-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: gcc

Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

> On 04/28/2010 01:44 AM, Diego Novillo wrote:
>
>> This year GCC received 10 slots for Google Summer of Code.
>
> [ This is probably documented on the Google site somewhere,
>   but I couldn't find it. ]
>
> How is this division in "projects" determined ?
>
> What makes GCC "good for" 10 slots ?

Basically, all the organizations accepted to Summer of Code look at
their applications and decide how many applications they got that they
think are good and that they can handle.  Google's Open Source Program
Office (which is a completely different set of people from the Google
engineers who work on gcc) takes all those numbers into a room, plus
the number of overall slots that Google has agreed to fund.  They do
some magic process divvying up the available slots among the numbers
that the organizations request.

One reason GCC got more slots than we did in previous years is that we
got more good applications, and we asked for more slots.  It's also
possible that other organizations asked for fewer slots, I have no
idea.

Ian

* Re: Accepted applications for Google Summer of Code 2010
@ 2010-04-28 22:19   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: gcc

On 4/28/10 14:34 , Toon Moene wrote:

> What makes GCC "good for" 10 slots ?

It's based on two things: the number of projects that the organization
thinks it can handle (which each org determines) and available funding
from GSoC.

Each organization ranks all the project proposals and decides how many
they could accept.  GSoC will then try to accommodate the organization
by providing funding for those proposals (or fewer, depending on
availability).

@ 2010-04-30 11:40     ` Aina Niemetz
From: Aina Niemetz @ 2010-04-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Diego Novillo, gcc

Ian,

thanks a lot for your feedback.
I'm aware of the fact that this might be quite a challenge, I hope that my
efforts won't be futile, though.

Would it be a good time to get the copyright assignment stuff done now? Or is
this too early, yet?

Aina

@ 2010-04-30 11:42       ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2010-04-30 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aina Niemetz; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, gcc

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 07:36, Aina Niemetz <aina.niemetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be a good time to get the copyright assignment stuff done now? Or is
> this too early, yet?

It's never too early to get the copyright assignment going.  To get
the process started, follow the instructions on this form:
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future.

Diego.