* frame pointer must be single register?
@ 2011-07-08 17:07 DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2011-07-08 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is there an unwritten rule that the frame pointer must be a single
hard register?  I'm working on a port where $fp is a register pair,
and I've seen gcc allocate the second register to other things
(causing all sorts of problems).

* Re: frame pointer must be single register?
@ 2011-07-08 17:10 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2011-07-08 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: gcc

On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:07 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Is there an unwritten rule that the frame pointer must be a single
> hard register?  I'm working on a port where $fp is a register pair,
> and I've seen gcc allocate the second register to other things
> (causing all sorts of problems).

Would it suffice simply to mark the second register as a reserved register?  That should take it away from the allocator, right?

	paul

* Re: frame pointer must be single register?
@ 2011-07-08 17:15 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2011-07-08 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: gcc

* Re: frame pointer must be single register?
@ 2011-07-08 18:02   ` Georg-Johann Lay
From: Georg-Johann Lay @ 2011-07-08 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law; +Cc: DJ Delorie, gcc

Jeff Law wrote:
> On 07/08/11 11:07, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Is there an unwritten rule that the frame pointer must be a single
>> hard register?  I'm working on a port where $fp is a register pair,
>> and I've seen gcc allocate the second register to other things
>> (causing all sorts of problems).
> It's certainly caused problems (some of which I believe have been fixed
> within the last year or so)...  I think there's a port (AVR?) that may
> have similar characteristics.
>
> jeff

Yes, and fixing the second part appears not to be the right approach.
I just committed a patch to fix PR46779, PR45291.

Johann