* Memory Model
@ 2012-03-10 14:17 Joe Gottman
From: Joe Gottman @ 2012-03-10 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    According to the news on the front page,  the C++11 memory model has
been added to gcc.  But C++11 status page
(http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html) says that it hasn't.  Is this
an oversight?

Joe Gottman

* Re: Memory Model
@ 2012-03-12 13:27 ` Andrew MacLeod
From: Andrew MacLeod @ 2012-03-12 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Gottman; +Cc: gcc

On 03/10/2012 09:17 AM, Joe Gottman wrote:
>    According to the news on the front page,  the C++11 memory model
> has been added to gcc.  But C++11 status page
> (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html) says that it hasn't.  Is this
> an oversight?

Atomic support with memory model parameters have been added, but
complete support is not quite there yet.  A full optimization audit has
not been performed, so it is possible to introduce data races which were
not there before.  Bitfields operations do not yet conform either.

That said, any one who encounters cases where those memory model
non-compliances occur should open a bugzilla so we can make sure we have
them covered in 4.8.

Andrew

* Re: Memory Model
@ 2012-03-12 22:51   ` Joe Gottman
       [not found]     ` <4F5F524A.3080602@redhat.com>
From: Joe Gottman @ 2012-03-12 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew MacLeod; +Cc: gcc

On 3/12/2012 8:44 AM, Andrew MacLeod wrote:
> On 03/10/2012 09:17 AM, Joe Gottman wrote:
>>    According to the news on the front page,  the C++11 memory model
>> has been added to gcc.  But C++11 status page
>> (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html) says that it hasn't.  Is
>> this an oversight?
>>

> Atomic support with memory model parameters have been added, but
> complete support is not quite there yet.  A full optimization audit
> has not been performed, so it is possible to introduce data races
> which were not there before.  Bitfields operations do not yet conform
> either.
>
> That said, any one who encounters cases where those memory model
> non-compliances occur should open a bugzilla so we can make sure we
> have them covered in 4.8.

    OK.  Does it say anywhere on the website exactly what can and can't
be done with respect to the memory model?

Joe Gottman

* Re: Memory Model
@ 2012-03-13  2:33     ` Lawrence Crowl
       [not found]     ` <4F5F524A.3080602@redhat.com>
From: Lawrence Crowl @ 2012-03-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Gottman; +Cc: Andrew MacLeod, gcc

On 3/12/12, Joe Gottman <josephgottman@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 3/12/2012 8:44 AM, Andrew MacLeod wrote:
> > On 03/10/2012 09:17 AM, Joe Gottman wrote:
> > > According to the news on the front page, the C++11
> > > memory model has been added to gcc.  But C++11 status page
> > > (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html) says that it hasn't.
> > > Is this an oversight?
> >
> > Atomic support with memory model parameters have been added, but
> > complete support is not quite there yet.  A full optimization
> > audit has not been performed, so it is possible to introduce
> > data races which were not there before.  Bitfields operations
> > do not yet conform either.
> >
> > That said, any one who encounters cases where those memory
> > model non-compliances occur should open a bugzilla so we can
> > make sure we have them covered in 4.8.
>
> OK.  Does it say anywhere on the website exactly what can and
> can't be done with respect to the memory model?

We cannot really know until after the optimization audit has been
completed.

It might be helpful to say the model is correct at some maximum
optimization level, probably -O0 or -O1.

--
Lawrence Crowl

* Re: Memory Model
       [not found]     ` <4F5F524A.3080602@redhat.com>
@ 2012-03-13 14:29       ` Andrew MacLeod
From: Andrew MacLeod @ 2012-03-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew MacLeod; +Cc: Joe Gottman, gcc

gcc.gnu.org bounced the previous email for some reason...

On 03/12/2012 06:51 PM, Joe Gottman wrote:
> On 3/12/2012 8:44 AM, Andrew MacLeod wrote:
>> On 03/10/2012 09:17 AM, Joe Gottman wrote:
>>>    According to the news on the front page,  the C++11 memory model
>>> has been added to gcc.  But C++11 status page
>>> (http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html) says that it hasn't.  Is
>>> this an oversight?
>>>

>> Atomic support with memory model parameters have been added, but
>> complete support is not quite there yet.  A full optimization audit
>> has not been performed, so it is possible to introduce data races
>> which were not there before.  Bitfields operations do not yet conform
>> either.
>>
>> That said, any one who encounters cases where those memory model
>> non-compliances occur should open a bugzilla so we can make sure we
>> have them covered in 4.8.
>>
>    OK.  Does it say anywhere on the website exactly what can and can't
> be done with respect to the memory model?

Well, perhaps not in so many words.   The information is all there, but
not in a  nice summary format.  I have updated the atomics wiki (pointed
to from the News page) to have a GCC 4.7 status which should spell out
what you can expect.
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Atomic/GCCMM

Does that help?

Andrew