From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
To: Arnaud Charlet <charlet@adacore.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help with workflow
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 09:13:22 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2020-12-20 7:24 a.m., Arnaud Charlet wrote:
> Pat,
>
> Not sure what you are trying to do . Are you trying to generate C code
> from Ada? If so, can you clarify why? In other words, what is the high level
> problem you are trying to solve and that you'd like to achieve? Is it the
> ability to navigate in Ada code?
>
> If you want to generate C from Ada, GCC isn't the right tool, since GCC
> doesn't generate C code, it generates an intermediate representation which
> is then translated into assembly code directly, without ever generating C code.
>
> Arno

Hi Arnaud

Thanks for responding to my post. I am not trying to generate C but to
follow the intermediate representation into the Ada runtime.

So let's just say we had this:

*with*  Ada.Text_IO;
*use*   Ada.Text_IO;
*procedure*  Do_Delays*is*
*begin*
   Put_Line("Wait 5 seconds.");
   *delay*  5.0;
   Put_Line("Wait 2 seconds.");
   *delay*  2.0;
   Put_Line("Wait 7 seconds.");
   *delay*  7.0;
   Put_Line("That's all folks.");
*end*  Do_Delays;

I want to follow "delay" through the intermediate representation into the Ada runtime to see where the code actually causes a pause state to occur.

I can do this with GnuCOBOL because it compiles to C but that is not the case here and I can't seem to figure out how to follow the code as it is being translated through it's various stages and into the runtime.

Thanks again-Pat