* Broken link Extended-asm-with-goto.html#Extended-asm-with-goto in online HTML documentation
@ 2013-06-06 12:07 Stephan Bergmann
From: Stephan Bergmann @ 2013-06-06 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Not sure if it is already known, but noticed that at least in the online
HTML documentation for all versions since 4.5 (where it was apparently
introduced), at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.4/gcc/Extended-Asm.html> in the
paragraph

   Speaking of labels, jumps from one asm to another are not supported.
The compiler's optimizers do not know about these jumps, and therefore
they cannot take account of them when deciding how to optimize. See
Extended asm with goto.

the link of "Extended asm with goto" is

to a non-existing

<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.4/gcc/Extended-asm-with-goto.html#Extended-asm-with-goto>

which gets redirected as

url=Extended-Asm.html#Extended%20asm%20with%20goto">

to a URL with non-matching spaces vs. hyphens in the fragment, so
doesn't make the browser jump to the
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.4/gcc/Extended-Asm.html#Extended-asm-with-goto>
anchor.

Stephan

* Re: Broken link Extended-asm-with-goto.html#Extended-asm-with-goto in online HTML documentation
@ 2013-12-02 20:32 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2013-12-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Bergmann; +Cc: gcc

Hi Stephan,

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> the link of "Extended asm with goto" is

> to a non-existing
>
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.4/gcc/Extended-asm-with-goto.html#Extended-asm-with-goto>
>
> which gets redirected as

> url=Extended-Asm.html#Extended%20asm%20with%20goto">
>
> to a URL with non-matching spaces vs. hyphens in the fragment, so doesn't make
> the browser jump to the
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.4/gcc/Extended-Asm.html#Extended-asm-with-goto>
> anchor.

I managed to debug this today, and it looks like an issue with the
(old) version of makeinfo on RHEL 6 that powers gcc.gnu.org.

That "non-existing" file actually does exist, alas only in the form
of a single line that contains the redirect you are seeing, which is
another artefact of how makeinfo --html works.

Given that newer version of makeinfo are not fully compatible, causing
issues with older versions of the GCC documentation which we still need
to build for new releases of older codestreams the best course of action
for now seems to live with those broken anchors (at least the right page
is invoked).  Not happy, don't get me wrong.

Gerald