* An unexplained 10% speed-up with gcc-4.8
@ 2013-12-23 10:40 Michael Veksler
From: Michael Veksler @ 2013-12-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello All,

When I started using gcc-4.8.1 I was glad to observe a substantial
speed-up of about 10% in my code, as compared with gcc-4.7.3.

Usually, switching to newer compilers has a relatively minor effect
and definitely not a 10% speed-up. Was there anything significant
in gcc-4.8.1 which may explain this dramatic improvement?

My code is C++98 which is compiled with profile-driven optimizations,
with -O2. My target is generic 32 bit Intel architecture. The result is run
on Intel Xeon. The application is CPU intensive.

Michael

* Re: An unexplained 10% speed-up with gcc-4.8
@ 2013-12-23 13:27 ` Michael Veksler
From: Michael Veksler @ 2013-12-23 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 23/12/13 12:40, Michael Veksler wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> When I started using gcc-4.8.1 I was glad to observe a substantial
> speed-up of about 10% in my code, as compared with gcc-4.7.3.
>
> Usually, switching to newer compilers has a relatively minor effect
> and definitely not a 10% speed-up. Was there anything significant
> in gcc-4.8.1 which may explain this dramatic improvement?
>
> My code is C++98 which is compiled with profile-driven optimizations,
> with -O2. My target is generic 32 bit Intel architecture. The result
> is run
> on Intel Xeon. The application is CPU intensive.

After some more testing, I found out that there is about 12% improvement
even when comparing two executables compiled without profile-driven
optimization.

Unfortunately, the vast improvement is observed only for x86, not for
x86-64. The speed-up on x86-64 is "only" 2-3%.

Michael.