* bubblestrap on the 3.4 branch?
@ 2005-08-13  4:11 Christian Joensson
From: Christian Joensson @ 2005-08-13  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi...

Is there something special I need to do on to run bubblestrap on the 3.4 branch?

I get into this problem:

configure: loading cache ./config.cache
configure: error: `LDFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over
make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/branch/objdir.3.4/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I surely don't want to run make distclean... so, I'll try rm
.config.cache and see what happens...

If you have any help, pls let me know.

--
Cheers,

/ChJ

* Re: bubblestrap on the 3.4 branch?
@ 2005-08-13 20:38 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2005-08-13 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Joensson; +Cc: gcc

Christian Joensson wrote:
> configure: loading cache ./config.cache
> configure: error: `LDFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
> configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
> configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over

This happens sometimes because recursive configure invocations can have
different variables set than recursive make invocations causing slightly
different config.cache files to be created depending on how exactly
configure was invoked in a subdirectory.  So if you configure, cvs
update, and then type make forcing a recursive make to invoke configure
in a subdir previously configured via a recursive configure, you may get
an error.  Just delete the subdir config.cache file and type make again.

Some patches have been added to gcc-4 to try to fix this, though new
errors in this area sometimes creep back in.

See for instance the following ChangeLog entries in the toplevel
ChangeLog file
2004-04-15  James E Wilson  <wilson@specifixinc.com>
2004-05-25  Daniel Jacobowitz  <drow@false.org>
--