* Listing a maintainer for libcilkrts, and GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally?
@ 2014-09-22 14:06 Thomas Schwinge
  2014-09-22 14:35 ` Make name+email address cut'n'paste-able (was: Listing a maintainer for libcilkrts, and GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally?) Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2014-09-22 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

Hi!

As has been noted before,
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Cyddhabgief1.fsf%40lokon.CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE%3E>,
GCC's MAINTAINERS file does not list a maintainer for libcilkrts, or
GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally.  Shouldn't it?  I regularely
consult this file when reporting issues in specific parts of the GCC code
base.

Grüße,
 Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 472 bytes --]

@ 2014-09-22 14:35 ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2014-09-22 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, 2014-09-22 16:06:21 +0200, Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> As has been noted before,
> <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Cyddhabgief1.fsf%40lokon.CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE%3E>,
> GCC's MAINTAINERS file does not list a maintainer for libcilkrts, or
> GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally.  Shouldn't it?  I regularely
> consult this file when reporting issues in specific parts of the GCC code
> base.

While we're at it...

  I consult that file as well, even quite often for preparing Build
Robot emails. There's another usability enhancement: I'd like to
propose to put all email addresses between '<' and '>', which would
quite ease cut'n'past-ability.  What's your oppinion on that? Should I
prepare a patch?

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:  The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty

* Re: Make name+email address cut'n'paste-able
@ 2014-09-22 16:42   ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2014-09-22 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw, gcc

On 09/22/14 08:35, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-22 16:06:21 +0200, Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>> As has been noted before,
>> <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Cyddhabgief1.fsf%40lokon.CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE%3E>,
>> GCC's MAINTAINERS file does not list a maintainer for libcilkrts, or
>> GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally.  Shouldn't it?  I regularely
>> consult this file when reporting issues in specific parts of the GCC code
>> base.
>
> While we're at it...
>
>    I consult that file as well, even quite often for preparing Build
> Robot emails. There's another usability enhancement: I'd like to
> propose to put all email addresses between '<' and '>', which would
> quite ease cut'n'past-ability.  What's your oppinion on that? Should I
> prepare a patch?
Sure.
Jeff

* Re: Listing a maintainer for libcilkrts, and GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally?
@ 2014-09-22 17:08 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2014-09-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

On 09/22/14 08:06, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As has been noted before,
> <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Cyddhabgief1.fsf%40lokon.CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE%3E>,
> GCC's MAINTAINERS file does not list a maintainer for libcilkrts, or
> GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally.  Shouldn't it?  I regularely
> consult this file when reporting issues in specific parts of the GCC code
> base.
The original plan was for Balaji to take on this role; however, his
assignment within Intel has changed and thus he's not going to have time
to work on Cilk+ anymore.

Igor Zamyatin has been doing a fair amount of Cilk+
maintenance/bugfixing and it might make sense for him to own it in the
long term if he's interested.

@ 2014-09-23 11:18   ` Zamyatin, Igor
From: Zamyatin, Igor @ 2014-09-23 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law, Thomas Schwinge, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

> The original plan was for Balaji to take on this role; however, his assignment
> within Intel has changed and thus he's not going to have time to work on
> Cilk+ anymore.
>
> Igor Zamyatin has been doing a fair amount of Cilk+ maintenance/bugfixing
> and it might make sense for him to own it in the long term if he's interested.

That's right.
Can I add 2 records (cilk plus and libcilkrts) to Various Maintainers section?

Thanks,
Igor

@ 2014-09-29 11:00     ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2014-09-29 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zamyatin, Igor, Jeff Law, Iyer, Balaji V; +Cc: gcc

Hi!

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:02:30 +0000, "Zamyatin, Igor" <igor.zamyatin@intel.com> wrote:
> Jeff Law wrote:
> > The original plan was for Balaji to take on this role; however, his assignment
> > within Intel has changed and thus he's not going to have time to work on
> > Cilk+ anymore.
> >
> > Igor Zamyatin has been doing a fair amount of Cilk+ maintenance/bugfixing
> > and it might make sense for him to own it in the long term if he's interested.
>
> That's right.

Thanks!

> Can I add 2 records (cilk plus and libcilkrts) to Various Maintainers section?

I understand Jeff's email as a pre-approval of such a patch.

@ 2014-09-29 11:09       ` Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2014-09-29 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge; +Cc: Zamyatin, Igor, Jeff Law, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:56:06PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:02:30 +0000, "Zamyatin, Igor" <igor.zamyatin@intel.com> wrote:
> > Jeff Law wrote:
> > > The original plan was for Balaji to take on this role; however, his assignment
> > > within Intel has changed and thus he's not going to have time to work on
> > > Cilk+ anymore.
> > >
> > > Igor Zamyatin has been doing a fair amount of Cilk+ maintenance/bugfixing
> > > and it might make sense for him to own it in the long term if he's interested.
> >
> > That's right.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > Can I add 2 records (cilk plus and libcilkrts) to Various Maintainers section?
>
> I understand Jeff's email as a pre-approval of such a patch.

I think only SC can appoint maintainers, and while Jeff is in the SC,
my reading of that mail wasn't that it was the SC that has acked that, but
rather a question if Igor is willing to take that role, which then would
need to be acked by SC.

	Jakub

* Re: Listing a maintainer for libcilkrts, and GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally?
@ 2014-09-29 13:10         ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2014-09-29 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: Zamyatin, Igor, Jeff Law, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

Hi!

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:00:19 +0200, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:56:06PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> > > That's right.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > > Can I add 2 records (cilk plus and libcilkrts) to Various Maintainers section?
> >
> > I understand Jeff's email as a pre-approval of such a patch.
>
> I think only SC can appoint maintainers, and while Jeff is in the SC,
> my reading of that mail wasn't that it was the SC that has acked that, but
> rather a question if Igor is willing to take that role, which then would
> need to be acked by SC.

I see.  Thanks for clarifying that formal process.

@ 2015-02-23 21:41         ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 2015-02-23 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek
  Cc: Thomas Schwinge, Zamyatin, Igor, Jeff Law, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:56:06PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>> Hi!

>> > That's right.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> > Can I add 2 records (cilk plus and libcilkrts) to Various Maintainers section?
>>
>> I understand Jeff's email as a pre-approval of such a patch.
>
> I think only SC can appoint maintainers, and while Jeff is in the SC,
> my reading of that mail wasn't that it was the SC that has acked that, but
> rather a question if Igor is willing to take that role, which then would
> need to be acked by SC.

Where are we on this?  Do we have a maintainer for Cilk Plus
and its run-time library?

--
H.J.

* Re: Listing a maintainer for libcilkrts, and GCC's Cilk Plus implementation generally?
@ 2015-03-05 20:39           ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2015-03-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H.J. Lu, Jakub Jelinek
  Cc: Thomas Schwinge, Zamyatin, Igor, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc

On 02/23/15 14:41, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:56:06PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> Thanks!

>>> I understand Jeff's email as a pre-approval of such a patch.
>>
>> I think only SC can appoint maintainers, and while Jeff is in the SC,
>> my reading of that mail wasn't that it was the SC that has acked that, but
>> rather a question if Igor is willing to take that role, which then would
>> need to be acked by SC.
>>

> Where are we on this?  Do we have a maintainer for Cilk Plus
> and its run-time library?
Not at this time.  There was a bit of blockage on various things with
the steering committee (who approves maintainers).  I've got a
half-dozen or so proposals queued (including Cilk maintainership).

@ 2015-03-06  0:42             ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2015-03-06  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law
  Cc: Zamyatin, Igor, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc, barry.m.tannenbaum, H.J. Lu,
	Jakub Jelinek

Hi!

On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:39:44 -0700, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/15 14:41, H.J. Lu wrote:

> >> I think only SC can appoint maintainers, and while Jeff is in the SC,
> >> my reading of that mail wasn't that it was the SC that has acked that, but
> >> rather a question if Igor is willing to take that role, which then would
> >> need to be acked by SC.
> >
> > Where are we on this?  Do we have a maintainer for Cilk Plus
> > and its run-time library?
> Not at this time.  There was a bit of blockage on various things with
> the steering committee (who approves maintainers).  I've got a
> half-dozen or so proposals queued (including Cilk maintainership).

What's the process then, that I get my Cilk Plus (libcilkrts) portability
patches committed to GCC?  I was advisd this must be routed through Intel
(Barry M Tannenbaum CCed), which I have done months ago: I submitted the
patches to Intel, and -- as I understood it -- Barry and I seemed to
agree about them (at least I don't remember any requests for changes to
be made on my side), but I have not seen a merge from Intel to update
GCC's libcilkrts.  Should I now commit to GCC the pending patches,
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3C8738bae1mp.fsf%40kepler.schwinge.homeip.net%3E>
and following?

@ 2015-03-06 14:26               ` Tannenbaum, Barry M
From: Tannenbaum, Barry M @ 2015-03-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge, Jeff Law
  Cc: Zamyatin, Igor, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc, H.J. Lu, Jakub Jelinek, Bae,
	Hansang

I apologize. They got caught up in other issues. They've been merged into our mainstream and I believe they were just posted to the cilkplus.org website and submitted to GCC.

  - Barry

@ 2015-03-06 14:37                 ` Zamyatin, Igor
From: Zamyatin, Igor @ 2015-03-06 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tannenbaum, Barry M, Thomas Schwinge, Jeff Law
  Cc: Iyer, Balaji V, gcc, H.J. Lu, Jakub Jelinek, Bae, Hansang

> I apologize. They got caught up in other issues. They've been merged into
> our mainstream and I believe they were just posted to the cilkplus.org
> website and submitted to GCC.

I'm going to submit latest cilk runtime sources next week so I will check the mentioned change.

Thanks,
Igor

@ 2015-03-06 17:13               ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2015-03-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schwinge
  Cc: Zamyatin, Igor, Iyer, Balaji V, gcc, barry.m.tannenbaum, H.J. Lu,
	Jakub Jelinek

On 03/05/15 17:41, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:39:44 -0700, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Where are we on this?  Do we have a maintainer for Cilk Plus
>>> and its run-time library?
>> Not at this time.  There was a bit of blockage on various things with
>> the steering committee (who approves maintainers).  I've got a
>> half-dozen or so proposals queued (including Cilk maintainership).
>
> What's the process then, that I get my Cilk Plus (libcilkrts) portability
> patches committed to GCC?  I was advisd this must be routed through Intel
> (Barry M Tannenbaum CCed), which I have done months ago: I submitted the
> patches to Intel, and -- as I understood it -- Barry and I seemed to
> agree about them (at least I don't remember any requests for changes to
> be made on my side), but I have not seen a merge from Intel to update
> GCC's libcilkrts.  Should I now commit to GCC the pending patches,
> <http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3C8738bae1mp.fsf%40kepler.schwinge.homeip.net%3E>
> and following?
For the runtime, the canonical bits are the upstream Cilk Plus project.
  So any changes for the runtime go there first.  The comments WRT Cilk+
maintainers were more for the bits in GCC itself (ie, front-end
extensions and related stuff up to gomp lowering/expansion.

There's the possibility of an update of the Cilk Plus runtime for gcc-5.
  Igor is going to summarize the situation for the release managers to
review and ultimately make a decision.

@ 2016-03-29 15:10                 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2016-03-29 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Law, gcc