From: David Kleuker <post@davidak.de>
To: "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: "gnu@gnu.org" <gnu@gnu.org>, "info@fsf.org" <info@fsf.org>
Subject: Recommendation of Gmail violates mission to respects users freedom
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 02:01:06 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hello,

since the GCC project seem not to be reachable in the Fediverse (only Twitter linked on website), i contact you here about this issue.

https://chaos.social/@davidak/109893176873158932

The Free Software Foundation and the GNU project promote and create Free Software that respects users freedom. The GCC Development Mission Statement is "Supporting the goals of the GNU project."

So i was surprised to see that you recommend the e-mail providers "Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or similar" that are known not to respect the users privacy, on https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/createaccount.cgi.

I suggest removing the examples since most people coming to the bug tracker should know what an e-mail provider is and instead recommend to use an e-mail alias to protect from spam on the main address.

You should also investigate how this recommendation got there and prevent such situations from happening again, as it hurts the reputation of GCC, GNU and the FSF! It did it for me.

It looks it was added in 2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20110611085833/http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/createaccount.cgi

Please inform me when you found a solution. (i'm not subscribed to the mailing list)

kind regards
davidak

PS: Thanks for your work on GCC and other Free Software!