* Re: my various SUIF/gcc related patches
       [not found] <199801130034.QAA24673@cygint.cygnus.com>
@ 1998-01-20  7:07 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-01-20  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilson; +Cc: egcs

Just an FYI; I've got a tree with the bytecode stuff removed.  I'll
try to get it checked in when I return to SLC later this week.

Removing the bytecode crap reduces the size of cc1's .text segment
by about 1.5%.  Not bad for 30minutes of work to remove a feature
that hasn't ever been used, is totally broken and would need a
complete and total redesign before being useful.

jeff

* Re: bytecode removal
@ 1998-01-20 16:18   ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-01-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs, wilson

You unfortunately missed a number of things that my patch handled correctly.
You can easily find all of the stuff you missed by using grep.  For instance:

find . -type f -exec grep -i bytecode \{\} \; -print

This shows that you left behind some unused global variables in expr.c, you
left behind a comment in stmt.c, and the VMS scripts make-cc1.com and
vmsconfig.com need to be fixed.

find . -type f -exec grep -i b\[ci\]\[_-\] \{\} \; -print

Various Makefile rules still need fixing.  config/msdos/top.sed,
config/vax/xm-vms.h, config/winnt/config-nt.sed, f/INSTALL, f/g77install.texi,
and objc/Make-lang.in all need fixes.

Jim

* Re: bytecode removal
@ 1998-01-20 16:18     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-01-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199801202359.PAA12689@cygnus.com >you write:
  > Various Makefile rules still need fixing.  config/msdos/top.sed,
  > config/vax/xm-vms.h, config/winnt/config-nt.sed, f/INSTALL, f/g77install.texi,
  > and objc/Make-lang.in all need fixes.
I'll still in the process of cleaning the last few bits out.

I'm not planning on fixing the .com stuff; I'll let Klaus know that they
need fixing.

jeff

* Re: my various SUIF/gcc related patches
@ 1998-01-21  9:18   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-01-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: wilson, egcs

> Removing the bytecode crap reduces the size of cc1's .text segment
> by about 1.5%.

I suspect that it will reduce the size of egcs.tar.gz by even more.
Kill it, kill it.

* Re: bytecode removal
@ 1998-01-22  1:45     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-01-22  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199801202359.PAA12689@cygnus.com >you write:
  > You unfortunately missed a number of things that my patch handled
  > correctly.  You can easily find all of the stuff you missed by using grep.
BTW -- I was using your patch as a guideline for the second cleanup pass
earlier this afternoon.

I think the only significant stuff left is the vms ".com" files; which
I've mentioned to Klaus need updating (I've got no clue and would prefer
to have him fix them).  If you want to fix them, go ahead.  I just didn't
want to botch them and then force Klaus to have to clean up my mess.

There's probably still some variables that could be zapped, maybe
even some functions if they didn't start with bc_.  Hopefully some
of the -Wall work being done by Kaveh will help track down some of
these remaining bigs.

Jeff