* Renaming git master?
       [not found]   ` <20210329131520.GZ3008@redhat.com>
@ 2023-01-15 21:22     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2023-01-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: libstdc++

[ gcc-patches -> gcc ]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> [LLVM] renamed the 'master' branch. I'll adjust the link tomorrow.
> Done by this patch, pushed to master (which I think we should rename).

Did I miss any discussions? Our documentation at
  https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html
still refers to master (though, probably dating back to the SVN days there
are quite a number of references to trunk, too).

`git branch -l` shows
  master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/trunk

1. Is there something we may want to adjust in the Git repository?

2. How about https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html ?

   (If someone tells me what to use instead of "master" I can propose a
   patch.)

Gerald

* Re: Renaming git master?
@ 2023-01-15 22:44       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2023-01-15 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc, Jonathan Wakely, libstdc++

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023, 21:23 Gerald Pfeifer, <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:

> [ gcc-patches -> gcc ]
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >> [LLVM] renamed the 'master' branch. I'll adjust the link tomorrow.
> > Done by this patch, pushed to master (which I think we should rename).
>
> Did I miss any discussions?

I don't think so.

Our documentation at
>   https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html
> still refers to master (though, probably dating back to the SVN days there
> are quite a number of references to trunk, too).
>
> `git branch -l` shows
>   master
>   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   remotes/origin/trunk
>

> 1. Is there something we may want to adjust in the Git repository?

If we want to rename master, yes, we'd need changes to the repo on the
server.

> 2. How about https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html ?
>
>    (If someone tells me what to use instead of "master" I can propose a
>    patch.)

The new convention used by most projects (and the default on GitHub, and
offered as default by Git) is 'main'.

We could add 'main' as another symbolic ref for master, which is where we
already do for 'trunk'. That would allow people to choose whether to use
trunk or main, or keep using master (and existing configs would keep
working if not updated).

* Re: Renaming git master?
@ 2023-01-16 18:35       ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2023-01-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc, Jonathan Wakely, libstdc++

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

>    (If someone tells me what to use instead of "master" I can propose a
>    patch.)

If you wish to add additional symbolic-refs / make master into a
symbolic-ref, please make sure to change hooks-bin,
refs/meta/config:project.config and anything else required about the hooks
to treat the new name the same as master, *before not after* adding the
new name.

https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-August/236953.html

--
Joseph S. Myers