* gcc 3.2 -> gcc 3.3 ABI change
@ 2003-03-06  7:07 Gerhard Tonn
From: Gerhard Tonn @ 2003-03-06  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
I am planning to switch to gcc 3.3 as soon as it is released. I have heard
rumours that there are ABI changes from gcc 3.2 to gcc 3.3 for C++ and/or C.
Could someone give me more details or point me to documentation? Is there a
configure option to keep the old ABI?

Thanks,
Gerhard

* Re: gcc 3.2 -> gcc 3.3 ABI change
@ 2003-03-06 17:14 ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2003-03-06 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Tonn; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 22:55, Gerhard Tonn wrote:
> Hi,
> I am planning to switch to gcc 3.3 as soon as it is released. I have heard
> rumours that there are ABI changes from gcc 3.2 to gcc 3.3 for C++ and/or C.
> Could someone give me more details or point me to documentation? Is there a
> configure option to keep the old ABI?

We do not know of any ABI changes between 3.2 and 3.3; the goal is for
the two compilers to be compatible.

There have been a couple of bug fixes which affect mangled names, but
those are due to situations where the 3.2 compiler was not a correct C++
compiler, rather that situations where the ABI was changed "for fun".

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: gcc 3.2 -> gcc 3.3 ABI change
@ 2003-03-07 10:11   ` Gerhard Tonn
From: Gerhard Tonn @ 2003-03-07 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Thursday 06 March 2003 17:49, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 22:55, Gerhard Tonn wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am planning to switch to gcc 3.3 as soon as it is released. I have
> > heard rumours that there are ABI changes from gcc 3.2 to gcc 3.3 for C++
> > and/or C. Could someone give me more details or point me to
> > documentation? Is there a configure option to keep the old ABI?
>
> We do not know of any ABI changes between 3.2 and 3.3; the goal is for
> the two compilers to be compatible.
>
> There have been a couple of bug fixes which affect mangled names, but
> those are due to situations where the 3.2 compiler was not a correct C++
> compiler, rather that situations where the ABI was changed "for fun".

Thanks. So this mean that any incompatibilities will come up during build
time, right?

Regards,
Gerhard

* Re: gcc 3.2 -> gcc 3.3 ABI change
@ 2003-03-08 13:09     ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2003-03-08 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Tonn; +Cc: gcc

--On Friday, March 07, 2003 07:59:25 AM +0100 Gerhard Tonn
<GerhardTonn@gammatau.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2003 17:49, you wrote:
>> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 22:55, Gerhard Tonn wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I am planning to switch to gcc 3.3 as soon as it is released. I have
>> > heard rumours that there are ABI changes from gcc 3.2 to gcc 3.3 for
>> > C++ and/or C. Could someone give me more details or point me to
>> > documentation? Is there a configure option to keep the old ABI?
>>
>> We do not know of any ABI changes between 3.2 and 3.3; the goal is for
>> the two compilers to be compatible.
>>
>> There have been a couple of bug fixes which affect mangled names, but
>> those are due to situations where the 3.2 compiler was not a correct C++
>> compiler, rather that situations where the ABI was changed "for fun".
>
> Thanks. So this mean that any incompatibilities will come up during build
> time, right?

Not necessarily; for example if two functions f1 and f2 were (incorrectly)
given the same mangled name in 3.2 and we've fixed that, their names will
change without any sort of message being indicated.

If I were you, I would not worry about this very much; the situations where
this kind of thing happens are exceedingly rare.   For exmaple, they do not
appear anywhere in the C++ runtime library that ships with G++, even though
it makes heavy use of almost every C++ feature.

Remember that ABI changes are only one class of changes that can affect
your code.  For example, suppose that given:

  void f(int);
  void f(double);

in G++ 3.2 "f(0)" erroneously called "f(double)" and we fixed it to call
"f(int)".  This would be a bug fix, and not an ABI change, but it could
still cause problems if your code depended on the old behavior.