* About VLIW backend
@ 2007-11-07  4:37 Li Wang
From: Li Wang @ 2007-11-07  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
I wonder if any efforts have been made to retarget GCC to VLIW
backend.Is there any project trying to do that? Is it included in the
GCC mainstream? Thanks.

Regards,
Li Wang

* Re: About VLIW backend
@ 2007-11-07  5:13 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2007-11-07  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang; +Cc: gcc

Li Wang wrote:
> Hi,
> I wonder if any efforts have been made to retarget GCC to VLIW
> backend.Is there any project trying to do that? Is it included in the
> GCC mainstream? Thanks.

the ia64 is a VLIW architecture!

> Regards,
> Li Wang

* Re: About VLIW backend
@ 2007-11-07  5:50   ` Li Wang
From: Li Wang @ 2007-11-07  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar, gcc

Hi,
     I know that. But I am talking to a more _pure_ VLIW architecture
which totally relies on static scheduling rather than EPIC architecture.
Thanks.
> Li Wang wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wonder if any efforts have been made to retarget GCC to VLIW
>> backend.Is there any project trying to do that? Is it included in the
>> GCC mainstream? Thanks.
>
> the ia64 is a VLIW architecture!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Li Wang

* Re: About VLIW backend
@ 2007-11-07  7:21 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-11-07  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang; +Cc: gcc

Li Wang <dragonfly@linux-vs.org> writes:

> I wonder if any efforts have been made to retarget GCC to VLIW
> backend.Is there any project trying to do that? Is it included in the
> GCC mainstream? Thanks.

The FRV is an example of a currently supported VLIW backend.

Ian

* Re: About VLIW backend
@ 2007-11-07  7:52   ` Pranav Bhandarkar
       [not found]     ` <473171B1.5000009@linux-vs.org>
       [not found]     ` <4731733C.2040704@linux-vs.org>
From: Pranav Bhandarkar @ 2007-11-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Li Wang, gcc

On 06 Nov 2007 21:50:09 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Li Wang <dragonfly@linux-vs.org> writes:
>
> > I wonder if any efforts have been made to retarget GCC to VLIW
> > backend.Is there any project trying to do that? Is it included in the
> > GCC mainstream? Thanks.

Dr. Baumgartl,  Jan Parthey and folks at the Chemnitz University of Technology
had got substantial success with a port for the TMS320C6x series of
VLIW processors.

http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/2004/0107/data/index.html

We ( A few friends and I - college students then ) had added some
improvements to this port as part of
undergraduate university coursework ( project).

cheers!
Pranav

* Re: About VLIW backend
       [not found]     ` <473171B1.5000009@linux-vs.org>
@ 2007-11-07  8:14       ` Pranav Bhandarkar
From: Pranav Bhandarkar @ 2007-11-07  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang; +Cc: gcc

>  I am interesting in it. How about the current status, is it ongoing
> developing? Is it included in GCC official release?

Unfortunately our group is not actively working on that right now.
Because of some reasons
( mainly the paucity of time) we couldnt release it to the GCC
community then ( about 3 years back).

- Pranav

* Re: About VLIW backend
       [not found]     ` <4731733C.2040704@linux-vs.org>
@ 2007-11-07 12:57       ` Pranav Bhandarkar
From: Pranav Bhandarkar @ 2007-11-07 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Wang; +Cc: gcc

>  Did you test for large programs? Such as applications from SPEC 2006? or
> the equal size of programs. Thanks.

Oh no, we didnt. We stopped when we achieved fair stability purely on
the basis of
the number of  testsuite failures ( less than 100).

cheers!
Pranav