* Re: Problem while configuring gcc3.2
       [not found] <680eb0b0912272051p3b91e59w8f78ab2fc0f478c7@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-12-28  4:59 ` Pardis Beikzadeh
From: Pardis Beikzadeh @ 2009-12-28  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I'm having a problem while installing gcc3.2. I'm trying to install
gcc3.2 for my installation of cygwin because anything higher than that
won't work if I try to compile mex files for Matlab. Unfortunately
when I try to configure gcc3.2 (before getting to the bootstrap step),
I get an error because no proper cc is found. This is of course
because I uninstalled my gcc3.4 in order to install gcc3.2 from
scratch according to the suggestion in the email below from the gcc
mailing list. Could you please tell me how to solve this problem?
Where can I get an installation of cc that will work with gcc3.2? It
seems like I'm stuck with a chicken and egg problem because it seems
like I need gcc before I can install gcc.

Also 'make bootstrap' doesn't work without running configure, so I'm
not sure what the "recommended way" mentioned in the email below
means.

Thanks in advance,

Pardis Beikzadeh

@ 2009-12-28  6:54   ` Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2009-12-28  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pardis Beikzadeh; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

Please don't top reply.

On 12/28/2009 12:59 PM, Pardis Beikzadeh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Also 'make bootstrap' doesn't work without running configure, so I'm
> not sure what the "recommended way" mentioned in the email below
> means.

The bootstrap in Jim's reply means, I think, building a minimal (only C
front-end) gcc-3.2 first using gcc-3.4. Then you can use the minimal
gcc-3.2 to build a full gcc-3.2.

>> If you build gcc-3.2 the recommended way, e.g. via bootstrap, then you won't run into this problem. The fortran front end will be built by the bootstrapped gcc-3.2 instead of gcc-3.4, and you won't get this error.
>>
>> If you are building a cross, then you bootstrap a native gcc-3.2 first, and then use the native gcc-3.2 to build the cross gcc-3.2.
>> --
>> Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com

Jie

* Re: Problem while configuring gcc3.2
@ 2009-12-28 11:56     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2009-12-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pardis Beikzadeh; +Cc: gcc

Jie Zhang wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 12:59 PM, Pardis Beikzadeh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Also 'make bootstrap' doesn't work without running configure, so I'm
>> not sure what the "recommended way" mentioned in the email below
>> means.
>>
> The bootstrap in Jim's reply means, I think, building a minimal (only
> C front-end) gcc-3.2 first using gcc-3.4. Then you can use the minimal
> gcc-3.2 to build a full gcc-3.2.

Maybe installing a gcc-3.3 based Cygwin-release like the '1.6.6' and
then building gcc-3.2 with it would succeed immediately :

http://www.filewatcher.com/m/cygwin-1.6.6.zip.496537660.0.0.html

Or simply finding a gcc-3.2-based Cygwin-release from the net....

It can also be possible that gcc-3.2 expects some old Cygwin-runtime as
the binutils & C-library components, trying to get gcc-3.2 to work
with uptodate binutils and Cygwin-runtime may simply be impossible or
very hard :(

* Re: Problem while configuring gcc3.2
@ 2009-12-29  0:09       ` Pardis Beikzadeh
From: Pardis Beikzadeh @ 2009-12-29  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@wippies.com> wrote:
> Jie Zhang wrote:
>>
>> On 12/28/2009 12:59 PM, Pardis Beikzadeh wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Also 'make bootstrap' doesn't work without running configure, so I'm
>>> not sure what the "recommended way" mentioned in the email below
>>> means.
>>>
>> The bootstrap in Jim's reply means, I think, building a minimal (only C
>> front-end) gcc-3.2 first using gcc-3.4. Then you can use the minimal gcc-3.2
>> to build a full gcc-3.2.
>>

> Maybe installing a gcc-3.3 based Cygwin-release like the '1.6.6' and then
> building gcc-3.2 with it would succeed immediately :
>
> http://www.filewatcher.com/m/cygwin-1.6.6.zip.496537660.0.0.html
>
> Or simply finding a gcc-3.2-based Cygwin-release from the net....
>
> It can also be possible that gcc-3.2 expects some old Cygwin-runtime as the
> binutils & C-library components, trying to get gcc-3.2 to work
> with uptodate binutils and Cygwin-runtime may simply be impossible or very
> hard :(

Thanks for the advice. After reading your suggestion I tried to find
an older installation of Cygwin. I found one but I have yet to try it
and see if in fact gcc3.2 does solve my other problems.

Cheers,

Pardis Beikzadeh

* Re: Problem while configuring gcc3.2
@ 2009-12-30  9:54   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2009-12-30  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pardis Beikzadeh; +Cc: gcc

2009/12/28 Pardis Beikzadeh:
> Hi,

This question should be asked on the gcc-help mailing list, not this one.

> I'm having a problem while installing gcc3.2. I'm trying to install
> gcc3.2 for my installation of cygwin because anything higher than that
> won't work if I try to compile mex files for Matlab. Unfortunately
> when I try to configure gcc3.2 (before getting to the bootstrap step),
> I get an error because no proper cc is found. This is of course
> because I uninstalled my gcc3.4 in order to install gcc3.2 from
> scratch according to the suggestion in the email below from the gcc
> mailing list. Could you please tell me how to solve this problem?

I don't see any suggestion in the mail you quoted that says to uninstall gcc3.4

I suggest you don't uninstall gcc3.4 and instead configure gcc3.2 so
it installs to a different path. That way you will have two versions
installed in separate locations.

> Where can I get an installation of cc that will work with gcc3.2? It
> seems like I'm stuck with a chicken and egg problem because it seems
> like I need gcc before I can install gcc.
>
> Also 'make bootstrap' doesn't work without running configure, so I'm
> not sure what the "recommended way" mentioned in the email below
> means.

It means following the usual installation instructions given on the
gcc website, which say to run configure first. Once you've configured
you can run 'make bootstrap'