* RE: [tree-ssa] Garbage collector x bb annotations
@ 2003-10-08 14:03 S. Bosscher
From: S. Bosscher @ 2003-10-08 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Zdenek Dvorak ', 'Diego Novillo '
  Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '

> > The real solution would be to
> > finally convert basic blocks to ggc.  Volunteers?
>
> I may try (I need it anyway for tree-ssa-cfg branch).  The whole issue
> is however quite ugly as this combines basically all allocation
> mechanisms that are available in gcc (basic blocks themselves are pool
> allocated).

We already mix everything now: bitmaps that are xmalloc'ed, annotations are
ggc'ed, and bbs and edges are pool allocated.  Talk about fragile...
BBs and edges and everything attacked to it should also be garbage
collected.  If we ever go on to save functions as graphs then that would be
more convenient anyway.

Gr.
Steven

* RE: [tree-ssa] Garbage collector x bb annotations
@ 2003-10-08 13:58 S. Bosscher
From: S. Bosscher @ 2003-10-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Diego Novillo ', 'Zdenek Dvorak '
  Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org '

> > me, since basic block annotations are allocated from obstack and
> > invisible to garbage collector.
> >
> Yeah.  But there's more than that, unfortunately.  All the fields in
> struct bb_ann_d are ggc allocated.  The real solution would be to
> finally convert basic blocks to ggc.  Volunteers?

It has been high on my TODO list for some time, but I wanted to wait until
after 3.4 branches because it will cause changes in a lot of files.  Do you
want it sooner than that?

Gr.
Steven

* [tree-ssa] Garbage collector x bb annotations
@ 2003-10-06 22:31 Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-10-06 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I have just run into the following problem: dom_children get released by
ggc_collect call in tree-ssa-pre.  Allocating them by ggc seems wrong to
me, since basic block annotations are allocated from obstack and
invisible to garbage collector.

Zdenek