* Help: Testsuite filenames are not parallel-make safe
@ 2004-10-15 10:09 Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2004-10-15 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I recently got some spurious errors from a "make -j3 check" in
gcc-3.3.x:

	FAIL: gcc.dg/debug/trivial.c -gstabs+ execution test
	FAIL: g++.dg/debug/trivial.C -gdwarf-2 -O3 execution test

By looking at the logfile and running the tests by hand I cannot
reproduce the errors separately.

I believe the transient failure occurs because both the gcc and g++
tests in this case were output to files named "./trivial.exe".  They
got created and tried to run at the same time and clobbered each
other.

I note that some tests are run with executable names like
"g++-mike-p7325-C.exe", whereas the debug tests don't do that.  This
filename encoding is slightly better because it puts one level of
directory into the output filename.  It's still not good enough for me
because both files would be "debug-trivial.exe".

If I could encode all of the directory path into the output filename
starting with what's underneath the testsuite/ dir, that would be
enough to separate these two files into "gcc-dg-debug-trivial.exe" and
"g++-dg-debug-trivial.exe" which would be safe.

Does anyone know where in the tcl maze this filename is set?
(I can't find it.)

Second, why is the filename encoding style different for these
g++.mike vs debug?  (I guess we're setting it differently and thus in
more than one place.)

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu

* Re: Help: Testsuite filenames are not parallel-make safe
@ 2004-10-15 20:22 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2004-10-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: gcc

On Thursday, October 14, 2004, at 08:32  PM, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> I recently got some spurious errors from a "make -j3 check" in
> gcc-3.3.x:
>
> 	FAIL: gcc.dg/debug/trivial.c -gstabs+ execution test
> 	FAIL: g++.dg/debug/trivial.C -gdwarf-2 -O3 execution test

Yup.  Use -j2 check, and you might miss the error. :-)

> Does anyone know where in the tcl maze this filename is set?

grep exe will find the code path as I recall...

* Re: Help: Testsuite filenames are not parallel-make safe
@ 2004-10-15 20:22 ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2004-10-15 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:32:32PM -0400, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> I recently got some spurious errors from a "make -j3 check" in
> gcc-3.3.x:
>
> 	FAIL: gcc.dg/debug/trivial.c -gstabs+ execution test
> 	FAIL: g++.dg/debug/trivial.C -gdwarf-2 -O3 execution test
>
> By looking at the logfile and running the tests by hand I cannot
> reproduce the errors separately.
>
> I believe the transient failure occurs because both the gcc and g++
> tests in this case were output to files named "./trivial.exe".  They
> got created and tried to run at the same time and clobbered each
> other.

debug/debug.exp explicitly passes that filename to gcc-dg-debug-runtest,
probably because the purpose of the test is to use a simple filename.
Other tests in the debug directory are passed using relative pathnames.

Probably the answer in this case it to rename one of the trivial.c
files.

> Second, why is the filename encoding style different for these
> g++.mike vs debug?  (I guess we're setting it differently and thus in
> more than one place.)

There are lots of special-purpose procedures in the testsuite, some
because there are reasons for them and some because people don't
understand the functionality that's already there and reinvent things;
I'm guilty of some of that.

Janis