* make[1]: *** wait: No child processes during make -j8 check
@ 2017-01-17  0:37 Martin Sebor
From: Martin Sebor @ 2017-01-17  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)

Thanks
Martin

* Re: make[1]: *** wait: No child processes during make -j8 check
@ 2017-01-17  1:27 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2017-01-17  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
> a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
> two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
> core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
> was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
> could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)

I just did a -j32 build/test and it worked on my 32 core ARM64 machine.
I was doing a -j128 a few days ago also on another machine too.

Thanks,
Andrew

@ 2017-01-17 15:30 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2017-01-17 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/16/2017 05:37 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
> I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
> a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
> two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
> core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
> was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
> could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)
What version of make are you using?  There was a bug where make could
lose track of children a while back.  Ask Patsy -- she may remember the
RHEL BZ and from that we can probably extract the version #s that were
affected and see if they match the version you're running.

jeff

* Re: make[1]: *** wait: No child processes during make -j8 check
@ 2017-01-17 16:59   ` Martin Sebor
From: Martin Sebor @ 2017-01-17 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/17/2017 08:30 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 01/16/2017 05:37 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>> I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
>> a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
>> two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
>> core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
>> was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
>> could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)
> What version of make are you using?  There was a bug where make could
> lose track of children a while back.  Ask Patsy -- she may remember the
> RHEL BZ and from that we can probably extract the version #s that were
> affected and see if they match the version you're running.

I have make 4.0 and I'm running Fedora 23.  I haven't changed
anything on the machine in a while and used to be able to run
make -j16.  I still can bootstrap with that but make check
has been failing recently.  Three times yesterday (-12, -j8,
and -j12 again), but then the last one with -j12 completed.

The frustrating thing is that after the failure I have to
restart make check from scratch, and so it can waste hours.

Martin

@ 2017-01-17 17:07     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2017-01-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Martin Sebor <msebor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2017 08:30 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
>>
>> On 01/16/2017 05:37 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>>>
>>> I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
>>> a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
>>> two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
>>> core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
>>> was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
>>> could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)
>>
>> What version of make are you using?  There was a bug where make could
>> lose track of children a while back.  Ask Patsy -- she may remember the
>> RHEL BZ and from that we can probably extract the version #s that were
>> affected and see if they match the version you're running.
>

> I have make 4.0 and I'm running Fedora 23.  I haven't changed
> anything on the machine in a while and used to be able to run
> make -j16.  I still can bootstrap with that but make check
> has been failing recently.  Three times yesterday (-12, -j8,
> and -j12 again), but then the last one with -j12 completed.
>
> The frustrating thing is that after the failure I have to
> restart make check from scratch, and so it can waste hours.

I haven't seen any catastrophic failures, but have noticed some
inconsistencies with parallel make check.  Sometimes it seems to
substitute a different filename.  It seems like make check -j harness
assumes some unique names for temporary / intermediate files that are
not guaranteed by the scripts.

Thanks, David

* Re: make[1]: *** wait: No child processes during make -j8 check
@ 2017-01-17 17:54     ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2017-01-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/17/2017 09:59 AM, Martin Sebor wrote:
> On 01/17/2017 08:30 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
>> On 01/16/2017 05:37 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>>> I've run into this failure during make check in the past with
>>> a very large make -j value (such as -j128), but today I've had
>>> two consecutive make check runs fail with -j12 and -j8 on my 8
>>> core laptop with no much else going on.  The last thing running
>>> was the go test suite.  Has something changed recently that
>>> could be behind it?  (My user process limit is 62863.)
>> What version of make are you using?  There was a bug where make could
>> lose track of children a while back.  Ask Patsy -- she may remember the
>> RHEL BZ and from that we can probably extract the version #s that were
>> affected and see if they match the version you're running.
>
> I have make 4.0 and I'm running Fedora 23.  I haven't changed
> anything on the machine in a while and used to be able to run
> make -j16.  I still can bootstrap with that but make check
> has been failing recently.  Three times yesterday (-12, -j8,
> and -j12 again), but then the last one with -j12 completed.
>
> The frustrating thing is that after the failure I have to
> restart make check from scratch, and so it can waste hours.
I went back and found the bug we recently fixed in RHEL, but it was a
make-3.8x issue.

Nothing useful in the RedHat/Fedora bug database.

jeff