* gcc bugs
@ 2000-03-27 11:20 Timothy Bedding
From: Timothy Bedding @ 2000-03-27 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Timothy.Bedding

Martin Loewis wrote:
> I guess this would help for about every bug in gcc - although proper
> patches help even more.

Proper patches that are large would require copyright issues to be
addressed I think. Descriptions of how to fix bugs avoid that.

So how do I go about finding a bug to work on?
I see there is a gcc-prs mailing list.

Could I just choose a problem mentioned on that list?

Do I need to worry about duplicating effort?

I see that some emails have a link to the GNATS system.

Is there a different front ends for GNATS?

It would be good to have a web page detailing the bug fixing
procedures that someone like myself should follow.

Cordially
Tim

* gcc bugs
@ 2000-03-28 11:10 Timothy Bedding
From: Timothy Bedding @ 2000-03-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Timothy.Bedding

Martin wrote:
> That, or the Web interface at http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl

Thanks for this. I suggest a link to this on the
bugs.html page.

> Looking forward to your patches,

Well, I guess I would be providing a description of how
to fix the bug rather than the actual patch because of
copyright issues.

Does anyone see a problem with this approach? I think
I read somewhere that providing a description of how to
fix a problem does not involve copyright.

Joern wrote:
> I beg to differ.  There are some old bugs where the failure is well
> understood.

How would you advise me to proceed? Does this apply to any GCC bugs stored
in the GNATS system?

Cordially
Tim