* RE: libstdc++-v3 does not include wchar_t specializations while build ing gcc 3.2 for Solaris8
@ 2002-09-03  8:20 Richard Mouli
From: Richard Mouli @ 2002-09-03  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

> From: Phil Edwards [mailto:phil@jaj.com]

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 05:07:01AM -0700, Richard Mouli wrote:
> > it seems that all the corresponding wchar functions are
> > missing in the Solaris 8 default installation:
> > config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VFWSCANF */
> > config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VSWSCANF */
> > config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VWSCANF */
> > config.h:/* #undef HAVE_WCSTOF */
>
> Ah.  This bug.  My mental bells are ringing, finally.  :-)
>
> In our GNATS database, take a look at PR 4764.

Yes exactly this one :-)

> "configure" is a generated file; the tests are written in
> acinclude.m4 and
> called in configure.in.  You can edit configure to not test
> for those 4
> functions, and see what happens, but the proper fix is to
> tweak acinclude.m4
> and then regenerate the scripts.

I hacked around these files (acinclude.m4, aclocal.m4, configure) but also in std_cwchar.h and std_cwtype.h and I was then able to build a libstdc++ which includes the wchar specializations.

Thanks for your help.

	Richard

Could you also reply on richard.mouli@axa.be?

* RE: libstdc++-v3 does not include wchar_t specializations while build ing gcc 3.2 for Solaris8
@ 2002-08-30  2:36 richard.mouli
From: richard.mouli @ 2002-08-30  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phil; +Cc: gcc

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:49:40PM +0200, richard.mouli@axa.be wrote:
> > It seems that the flag _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T is not defined
> by the configure
> > script and therefore prevent the corresponding source code
> to be compiled
> > in.
>
> This flag is on by default.  If it becomes disabled, that
> means that the
> tests performed by the configure script decided your system
> did not have
> the necessary underlying support for wchar_t.
>
> You can look in the script's log file, in
> your_build_dir/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/config.log,
> to see which
> tests failed and why.  (Look for wchar_t and the lines preceeding it.)

Phil,

it seems that all the corresponding wchar functions are missing in the
Solaris 8 default installation:
config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VFWSCANF */
config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VSWSCANF */
config.h:/* #undef HAVE_VWSCANF */
config.h:/* #undef HAVE_WCSTOF */
This is checked in the configure script aroung line 20633.

It implies the ac_wfuncs variable to be set to no and therefore to exclude
wchar_t specializations (around line 20730).

To check the script execution I change the gobang line with:
#! /bin/ksh -x
export PS4="\$LINENO: "

I didn't find any information on how to complete the default installation
with these functions.
Can you provide me with any good (of course :-) advise on how to install gcc
3.2 with support of wchar_t specializations?
Should I install the glibc for Solaris 8?

Thanks

	Richard

* Re: libstdc++-v3 does not include wchar_t specializations while build ing gcc 3.2 for Solaris8
@ 2002-08-29  7:49 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-08-29  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: richard.mouli; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 03:49:40PM +0200, richard.mouli@axa.be wrote:
> It seems that the flag _GLIBCPP_USE_WCHAR_T is not defined by the configure
> script and therefore prevent the corresponding source code to be compiled
> in.

This flag is on by default.  If it becomes disabled, that means that the
tests performed by the configure script decided your system did not have
the necessary underlying support for wchar_t.

You can look in the script's log file, in
your_build_dir/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/config.log, to see which
tests failed and why.  (Look for wchar_t and the lines preceeding it.)

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002