On 24/05/2021 19:29, Mark Wielaard wrote: > Hi Philip, > > On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:24:13PM +0100, Philip Herron wrote: >> As some of you might know, I have been working on GCC Rust over on >> GitHub https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs. As the project is moving >> forward and enforcing GCC copyright assignments for contributors, I >> would like to create a branch on the GCC git repo to show the intention >> to be upstream with GCC someday. >> [...] >> The commit message here is poorly formatted. To move forward, should I >> rebase the tree to fix this commit and force push to rewrite the >> history? Or is there a way to relax the rule for a new branch? Any >> advice would be welcome. > As Joseph said you could create a developement branch for hacking on > the GCC Rust Frontend and relax the commit push rules for that one: > https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html#devbranches > > Is the intention to eventually make this branch the main development > branch? Or will it just be a mirror of the main github repo/branch? > > I assume it will be some months (years?) before this frontend will be > merge into the main gcc git repo. I wonder if it makes sense to create > a separate repo for the gcc rust frontend so you can use your own > rules for development. Currently you are using some github services, > like bors, that we might want to replicate. That might require some > special git branches for the automation. We can then experiment with > having a gccrs.git repo on gcc.gnu.org to see if such services can be > replicated on our own server. And the gcc rust community might show > other gcc developers whether and how that helps development. > > It would also be great if we could somehow have "normal" gcc bugzilla > tickets instead of these github issue and pr numbers (which won't make > sense anymore once the frontend is merged). > >> Separately, some contributors have expressed interest in maintaining the >> GCC style communications of using a mailing list and irc. Is it >> reasonable for this project to get a rust@gcc.gnu.org? > Personally I would love to have a normal mailinglist, but I am > personally somewhat (unrationally?) allergic to github and > web-chat-systems. If we are trying to make this new frontend a bit > more accessible to traditional gcc hackers, could we also have a > normal irc channel (there is #gcc on irc.oftc.net). It would be great > to also have a #gccrust channel on oftc. > > Cheers, > > Mark > Hi Mark, I think a branch on GCC's git repo will be a mirror of the github, but I think its really important for the project to respect GCC traditions. By that I mean that we respect patches sent to gcc-patches such that they are treated with the same respect as PR's on Github. If for instance a Mailing list on gcc.gnu.org became more active than github i think at that point i would have to reconsider this, and weigh up switching the main development over to gcc.gnu.org. As for the git hooks, is it possible that I amend the hooks within the gccrs repo .git/hooks folder? Or is this something i need to change in the GCC repo? Sorry i should really read up more on git hooks in general. Thanks. --Phil