I'm running into some issues building LTO+profiled enabled configurations in some constrained build environment called buildds, having four cores and 16GB of RAM. configured for all frontends (maximum number of LTO links) and configured with --enable-bootstrap \ --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto-lean \ --enable-link-mutex and building the make profiledbootstrap-lean target. Most builds time out after 150 minutes. A typical LTO link runs for around one minute on this hardware, however a LTO link with -fprofile-use runs for up to three hours. So gcc/lock-and-run.sh runs the first lto-link, waits for all other 300 seconds, then removes the "stale" locks, and runs everything in parallel ... Which surprisingly goes well, because -flto=jobserver is in effect, so I don't see any memory constraints yet. The machine then starts building all front-ends, but apparently is not overloaded, as -flto=jobserver is in effect. However there is no output, and that triggers the timeout. Richi mentioned on IRC that the LTO links only have buffered output (unless you run in debug mode), and that is only emitted once the link finishes. However even with unbuffered output, there could be times when nothing is happening, no warnings? I'm currently experimenting with a modified lock-and-run.sh, which basically sets the delay for releasing the "stale" locks to 30min instead of 5 min, runs the LTO link in the background and checks for the status of the background job, emitting some "running ..." messages while not finished. Still adjusting some parameters, but at least that succeeds on some of my configurations. The locking mechanism was introduced in 2013, https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-05/msg00001.html lock-and-run.sh should probably modified not to release the "stale" locks based on a fixed timeout value. How? While the "no-output" problem can be fixed in the lock script as well (attached), this doesn't apply to third party apps. Having unbuffered output and/or an option to print progress would be beneficial. Matthias