* Moving to C++11
@ 2019-09-26  4:10 Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2019-09-26  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I asked about moving to C/C++ 11 as it would make it easier to

allow multithreading support due to having a memory model

alongside other features. Jason Merill mentioned due to it

being so common it may be a good  time to.

Moving to git seems to be universally agree on so I'm opening the discussion

for the same as related to C/C++11 migration and if possible opening

a TODO similar to git if decided on.

Please post your comments or ideas about the migration in response to this

email,

Nick

* Moving to C++11
@ 2019-09-29 22:57 Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2019-09-29 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings David,

I posted on the list about moving to C++11/C11 but the focus was on

C++11 for my work. Seems that other people wanted to use some

parts of the C++11 standard including rvalues,move,auto and template

aliases. The thread is here:

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2019-09/msg00228.html

I've come to the conclusion that enabling parts of it would be useful
overall based

on the linked discussion.

Therefore I'm opening up the discussion again with the commitee involved
to figure

out what should be used and how the migration should take place,

Nick

* Moving to C++11
@ 2019-09-30 17:50 Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2019-09-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings Jonathan and Jason,

I was wondering what work is required to move to C++11. Seems your

both interested in getting this done and so am I. Perhaps we start

similar to Git with a wiki page about what features would be useful

and then start migrating the makefiles to allow for this.

So far according to the previous discussion it seems that the community

would like these features:

1. Template Aliases

2. Better narrowing supprot for core types

2. Auto for local variables

3. std::move,rvalues

4. For each loops

Let me know if I missed something but I will be glad to help out with this,

Nick