* Disabling the heuristic inliner
@ 2007-12-20  1:29 Shaun Jackman
From: Shaun Jackman @ 2007-12-20  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is it possible to disable the heuristic inline function logic? I would
like to select the following behaviour:

* all static inline functions are always inlined
* all static functions that are called once are inlined
(-finline-functions-called-once)
* no other functions are inlined

I'm using -Os and I'm trying to find the right combination of -f
switches to enable this behaviour. I tried
-finline-limit=1 -finline-functions-called-once
but it caused static inline functions to not be inlined.

Thanks,
Shaun

* Re: Disabling the heuristic inliner
@ 2007-12-20  3:09 ` Shaun Jackman
From: Shaun Jackman @ 2007-12-20  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is there a switch to never inline a non-static function?

Thanks,
Shaun

@ 2009-11-19  2:43   ` Paolo Carlini
From: Paolo Carlini @ 2009-11-19  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: sjackman

On 11/19/2009 02:21 AM, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> I haven't done a lot of testing, but
> -Os -fno-inline-small-functions
> seems to accomplish this.

Note that this issue really doesn't qualify for gcc, gcc-help is more
suited.

Anyway, there are some attributes available, which probably you can find
useful, like always_inline, see the docs for details.

Paolo.

* Re: Disabling the heuristic inliner
@ 2009-11-19  1:22 ` Shaun Jackman
From: Shaun Jackman @ 2009-11-19  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

2009/11/18 Shaun Jackman <sjackman@gmail.com>:
> Is it possible to disable the heuristic inline function logic? I would
> like the following behaviour:
>
> * static inline functions are always inlined
> * non-static functions are never inlined
> * static functions that are called once are inlined
> * static functions that are called more than once are not inlined
>
> I'm using -Os, and I'm trying to find the right combination of -f
> switches to enable this behaviour.
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun

I haven't done a lot of testing, but