* GCC 3.0 branch
@ 2002-02-21 17:38 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2002-02-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The version.c files on the 3.0 branch have been reset to "prerelease",
so the 3.0 branch is now reopened.

Note that I do not plan to make any more releases from this branch.

Still, it's fine to check things in there in case we do at some point
want to make another release or so that users can pull relatively stable
code from that branch.  Please continue to follow the usual 3.0 branch
rules: the changes should fix regressions from previous versions of the
compiler.

Thank you,

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch
@ 2001-02-13 10:20 ` Albert Chin-A-Young
From: Albert Chin-A-Young @ 2001-02-13 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 08:59:43AM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I've verified builds on GNU/Linux, Solaris, AIX, and IRIX.  I know
> that OpenBSD worked as of a day or two ago, and nothing major has
> transpired.  So, we have a reasonably stable base from which to work.
> Besides fixing bugs, the major open issue on the branch will be
> compile-time performance.

I take it the IRIX host was 64-bit? The 3.0 branch does not build on
32-bit platforms out of the box (just tested). See:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-11/msg00893.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2000-11/msg00914.html

On IRIX 6.5 CVS compiles. However, on IRIX 6.2, it dies with the
following:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
c-convert.o differs
collect2.o differs
convert.o differs
cpphash.o differs
cpplex.o differs
cpplib.o differs
cppmacro.o differs
errors.o differs
g++spec.o differs
gccspec.o differs
gcov.o differs
gen-protos.o differs
gencheck.o differs
hash.o differs
mkdeps.o differs
objc-parse.o differs
prefix.o differs
scan-decls.o differs
scan.o differs
stringpool.o differs

This is with the IRIX C compiler:
  $ uname -a
  IRIX sunday 6.5 04191225 IP22
  $ cc -V
  MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.2m
  $ uname -a
  IRIX jurassic 6.2 03131015 IP22
  $ cc -V
  MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1m

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch
@ 2001-02-12 16:03   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-02-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsm28; +Cc: gcc

    Joseph> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

    >> I have tagged and branched the sources for GCC 3.0.  The tag is
    >> `gcc-3_0-branchpoint'; the branch itself is `gcc-3_0-branch'.

    Joseph> I take it that the FTP snapshots - starting with the next one due within
    Joseph> the next few hours - will be from the branch until the release?

That would be good -- but I have studiously avoided understanding how
the FTP snaphots work.  Jeff, are you the best person to take care of
this?

    Joseph> Will the version number now be changing to 3.0 on the branch and 3.1 on
    Joseph> the mainline?

Good questions.  I don't want to change the number on the branch just
yet, but it might make sense to change the number on the mainline.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Branch
@ 2001-02-12 14:38 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-02-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I have tagged and branched the sources for GCC 3.0.  The tag is
> `gcc-3_0-branchpoint'; the branch itself is `gcc-3_0-branch'.

I take it that the FTP snapshots - starting with the next one due within
the next few hours - will be from the branch until the release?

Will the version number now be changing to 3.0 on the branch and 3.1 on
the mainline?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* GCC 3.0 Branch
@ 2001-02-12  8:54 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-02-12  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have tagged and branched the sources for GCC 3.0.  The tag is
`gcc-3_0-branchpoint'; the branch itself is `gcc-3_0-branch'.

The next major step will be going through GNATs prioritizing bug
reports.  I will call for volunteers for this step later today, when
I've put together some guidelines for how to do it.  Please do *not*
volunteer just yet.  I will also put together some guidelines for how
to decide whether to apply patches to the branch, and send those out
later today.

The tree is no longer slushed.  Thanks to all for being patient
through the slush period.  Although the mainline is now open, it would
be very helpful if volunteers would continue to focus on GCC 3.0, both
by helping with the GNATS prioritization and also with the ensuing
bug-fixing.

I've verified builds on GNU/Linux, Solaris, AIX, and IRIX.  I know
that OpenBSD worked as of a day or two ago, and nothing major has
transpired.  So, we have a reasonably stable base from which to work.
Besides fixing bugs, the major open issue on the branch will be
compile-time performance.

Thanks to everyone who has helped get us this far.

There is lots more to do, but we are making progress!