* Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 11:42 Aaron Gray
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron Gray @ 2022-08-17 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

Hi,

I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
all broken links and the SVN is gone.

Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?

Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
anywhere please ?

Also any pointers to the documentation for the current implementation ?

Regards,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and Computer Scientist.

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 12:16 ` Ben Boeckel
From: Ben Boeckel @ 2022-08-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: GCC Development

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:42:42 +0100, Aaron Gray via Gcc wrote:
> I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
> https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
> all broken links and the SVN is gone.
>
> Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?

There is this repo that may be of interest:

    https://github.com/asutton/gcc

No idea of the state of it though or how useful it is for C++20
Concepts.

--Ben

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 12:29   ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2022-08-17 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Boeckel; +Cc: GCC Development

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 13:16, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel@kitware.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 12:42:42 +0100, Aaron Gray via Gcc wrote:
> > I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
> > https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
> > all broken links and the SVN is gone.
> >
> > Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?
>
> There is this repo that may be of interest:
>
>     https://github.com/asutton/gcc
>
> No idea of the state of it though or how useful it is for C++20
> Concepts.

Thanks this from 2018

Aaron
--

@ 2022-08-17 12:46 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-08-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: GCC Development

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, 13:43 Aaron Gray via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
> https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
> all broken links and the SVN is gone.
>
> Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?

I don't think so, but I can't check now. I would ask Doug Gregor where that
code can be found now.

> Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
> anywhere please ?

Define "original". Andrew Sutton's Concepts Lite implementation was merged
into GCC trunk, and evolved to also support C++20 concepts.

> Also any pointers to the documentation for the current implementation ?

Only comments in the code, I think.

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 12:55   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-08-17 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: GCC Development

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, 14:46 Jonathan Wakely, <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, 13:43 Aaron Gray via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
>> https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
>> all broken links and the SVN is gone.
>>
>> Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?
>>

> I don't think so, but I can't check now. I would ask Doug Gregor where
> that code can be found now.
>

>> Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
>> anywhere please ?
>>

> Define "original". Andrew Sutton's Concepts Lite implementation was merged
> into GCC trunk, and evolved to also support C++20 concepts.

I think it was merged in August 2015 and first released in GCC 6.1

@ 2022-08-17 13:11     ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2022-08-17 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: GCC Development

>>> Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
>>> anywhere please ?
>>

>> Define "original".

a post ConceptGCC, GCC branch implementation ?

>> Andrew Sutton's Concepts Lite implementation was merged into GCC trunk, and evolved to also support C++20 concepts.

Great thought so !

> I think it was merged in August 2015 and first released in GCC 6.1

I am just trying to get an overview of the implementation history, and
code bases.

Many thanks,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language
Researcher, Information Theorist, and amateur Computer Scientist.

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 14:19 ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 2022-08-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray, GCC Development

On 17/08/2022 12:42, Aaron Gray via Gcc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
> https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html has
> all broken links and the SVN is gone.
>
> Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?
>
> Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
> anywhere please ?
>
> Also any pointers to the documentation for the current implementation ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

Not withstanding what others have already said, the various concepts
branches are still in the git repository, but aren't in the standard
pull set.  You can use git fetch to explicitly pull them:

d743a72b52bcfaa1effd7fabe542c05a30609614        refs/dead/heads/c++-concepts
780065c813a72664bd46a354a2d26087464c74fc
refs/dead/heads/conceptgcc-branch
ce85971fd96e12d0d6675ecbc46c9a1884df766c
refs/dead/heads/cxx0x-concepts-branch
14d4dad929a01ff7179350f0251af752c3125d74
refs/deleted/r131428/heads/cxx0x-concepts-branch

I haven't looked as to which is most likely to be relevant.

R.

PS, note that these branches may not appear in some mirrors if they only
mirror the default refs/heads set.

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-08-17 20:22   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-08-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Earnshaw; +Cc: Aaron Gray, GCC Development

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, 16:20 Richard Earnshaw via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> On 17/08/2022 12:42, Aaron Gray via Gcc wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for the original ConceptGCC source code, the
> > https://www.generic-programming.org/software/ConceptGCC/download.html
> has
> > all broken links and the SVN is gone.
> >
> > Is this available on GCC git or SVN ?
> >
> > Also I am wondering if the original concepts-lite code is available too
> > anywhere please ?
> >
> > Also any pointers to the documentation for the current implementation ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aaron
>
> Not withstanding what others have already said, the various concepts
> branches are still in the git repository, but aren't in the standard
> pull set.  You can use git fetch to explicitly pull them:
>
> d743a72b52bcfaa1effd7fabe542c05a30609614
> refs/dead/heads/c++-concepts

This is "concepts lite".

780065c813a72664bd46a354a2d26087464c74fc
> refs/dead/heads/conceptgcc-branch

I think this was Doug Gregor's work, but I don't know how much of
ConceptGCC is present on the branch.

ce85971fd96e12d0d6675ecbc46c9a1884df766c
> refs/dead/heads/cxx0x-concepts-branch
> 14d4dad929a01ff7179350f0251af752c3125d74

This is described at https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html as:

"This branch contains the beginnings of a re-implementation of Concepts, a
likely future feature of C++, using some of the code from the prototype
implementation on conceptgcc-branch. It is not currently maintained."

I don't know who did this work, check the git history.

* Re: Wanted: original ConceptGCC downloads / branch, concepts-lite branch
@ 2022-09-04 17:25     ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2022-09-04 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: Richard Earnshaw, GCC Development

Great, thanks alot !