* Patches to 19981213 config.guess etc for HPPA2.0 support
@ 1998-12-17 16:30 rodneybrown
From: rodneybrown @ 1998-12-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Stephen Jay Gould says palaeontologists are lumpers or splitters
- I guess the patch says which category I would fall in

Heres the evidence for the general 9000/[678][0-9][0-9] pattern
for HP numeric model numbers.

This looks best in a fixed font.

HP HPPA numeric model numbers summarized from
/opt/langtools/sched.models VERSION A.00.07
  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

600
                    635
                    645
700
710     712         715
720     722         725         728
730                 735
742         743 744 745     747
750                 755
770                         777 778 779
780 781

800 801 802 803 804     806 807 808 809
    811     813     815 816 817     819
    821 822         825 826 827     829
    831 832     834 835     837     839
840 841 842         845     847     849
850 851 852         855 856 857     859
860 861             865     867     869
870 871                     877     879
                            887     889
890 891 892 893             897

Also shouldn't {,{gcc,texinfo}/}config.sub be the one hard-linked file?
The differences seem to be in stages of evolution, rather than active.

The patch is required to build on our K380 which only identifies itself as
9000/800
with uname. Mime attachment for CC-MAIL safety.

* Re: Patches to 19981213 config.guess etc for HPPA2.0 support
@ 1998-12-17 21:18 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-17 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rodneybrown; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 9812179139.AA913941102@cc.pmsc.com >you write:
  > Heres the evidence for the general 9000/[678][0-9][0-9] pattern
  > for HP numeric model numbers.
I spent some time thinking about the model # stuff, and after looking at the
HP recommended code to get the system's architecture I decided to rely on
the C code to get the architecture.  The fallback code based on model #s is
mostly obsolete now -- I don't really care if the fallback code  mis-identifies
a particular model -- so long as it does so in a safe manner.

  > Also shouldn't {,{gcc,texinfo}/}config.sub be the one hard-linked file?
  > The differences seem to be in stages of evolution, rather than active.
gcc/config.sub has been targeted for termination.  texinfo/config.sub will
probably hang around much longer since we do not control the texinfo package.

jeff