* --enable-intermodule bootstrap
@ 2004-11-08 14:19 Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2004-11-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi!

Anyone tried --enable-intermodule bootstrap recently?  My
bootstrap is still doing stage1 libbackend, now for over an
hour (regular bootstrap completes in less than half an hour).
Is this known and as such not recommended to do intermodule
bootstraps (they are undocumented, after all)?

Or will this eventually be addressed?

Thanks,
Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard dot guenther at uni-tuebingen dot de>

* Re: --enable-intermodule bootstrap
@ 2004-11-08 15:08 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2004-11-08 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: gcc

On Nov 8, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Anyone tried --enable-intermodule bootstrap recently?  My
> bootstrap is still doing stage1 libbackend, now for over an
> hour (regular bootstrap completes in less than half an hour).
> Is this known and as such not recommended to do intermodule
> bootstraps (they are undocumented, after all)?
>
> Or will this eventually be addressed?

Yes this is normal as we check the prototypes across the
translational unit.  I posted a patch to speed it up but
it has not been approved yet.

Patch here: <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-10/msg01479.html>.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

* Re: --enable-intermodule bootstrap
@ 2004-11-08 16:03   ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2004-11-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Andrew Pinski wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Anyone tried --enable-intermodule bootstrap recently?  My
> > bootstrap is still doing stage1 libbackend, now for over an
> > hour (regular bootstrap completes in less than half an hour).
> > Is this known and as such not recommended to do intermodule
> > bootstraps (they are undocumented, after all)?
> >
> > Or will this eventually be addressed?
>

> Yes this is normal as we check the prototypes across the
> translational unit.  I posted a patch to speed it up but
> it has not been approved yet.
>
> Patch here: <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-10/msg01479.html>.

Works like a charm - you should ping the patch in question, it for sure
got lost by now.

Richard.

--

@ 2004-11-08 16:50     ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2004-11-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:08:30 +0100 (CET), Richard Guenther
<rguenth@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 8, 2004, at 9:15 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Anyone tried --enable-intermodule bootstrap recently?  My
> > > bootstrap is still doing stage1 libbackend, now for over an
> > > hour (regular bootstrap completes in less than half an hour).
> > > Is this known and as such not recommended to do intermodule
> > > bootstraps (they are undocumented, after all)?
> > >
> > > Or will this eventually be addressed?
> >

> > Yes this is normal as we check the prototypes across the
> > translational unit.  I posted a patch to speed it up but
> > it has not been approved yet.
> >
> > Patch here: <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-10/msg01479.html>.
>
> Works like a charm - you should ping the patch in question, it for sure
> got lost by now.

But we don't gain much - only about 1.5% in C++ tramp3d compilation.
I guess partly because the frontends are not inter-moduled.

Richard.

* Re: --enable-intermodule bootstrap
@ 2004-11-12 21:18       ` Geoffrey Keating
From: Geoffrey Keating @ 2004-11-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guenther; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> writes:

> But we don't gain much - only about 1.5% in C++ tramp3d compilation.
> I guess partly because the frontends are not inter-moduled.

Possibly because you aren't compiling with -O3, to actually inline
across modules?

* Re: --enable-intermodule bootstrap
@ 2004-11-13 17:14         ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2004-11-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Keating; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

On 08 Nov 2004 15:42:39 -0800, Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> wrote:
> Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > But we don't gain much - only about 1.5% in C++ tramp3d compilation.
> > I guess partly because the frontends are not inter-moduled.
>
> Possibly because you aren't compiling with -O3, to actually inline
> across modules?

Ah, yes.  That's one thing to try.

Thanks,
Richard.