* [Announcement] Creating lightweight IPO branch
@ 2009-05-05  5:01 Xinliang David Li
From: Xinliang David Li @ 2009-05-05  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi, I am going to create a gcc branch for the functionality of
lightweight IPO. The description of the project and current status can
be found in http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LightweightIpo.  Some highlights:

1) If you already use FDO in your build, you also get IPO almost for free;
2) It is an IPO solution  practical to very large real world C++ applications;
3) Performance potential is very large (though I've seen case
increased compiler freedom can lead to performance degradation due to
over-optimization (inliner, unroller etc) -- but this is a different
matter).

If the idea is generally accepted, I will prepare a series of patches
and submit them to gcc trunk.

Thanks,

David