* If `g77 -v' is "fixed"...
@ 1998-06-25  9:24 Craig Burley
From: Craig Burley @ 1998-06-25  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

...to report its "full" version info, by reverting HJ Lu's patch
of a few days ago, then I believe it is also necessary to fix

  gcc/testsuite/lib/g77.exp

to supply the appropriate `-Bpathname/' option (before -v), where
pathname is the same as in the command `pathname/g77 -v' as is
currently invoked.

IMO, this change should be made for all situations where -v is
used to get version info, to ensure the right copy of the `specs'
file gets picked up.

I don't know enough about the language these files are written
in (`expect', presumably) to fix these myself.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: If `g77 -v' is "fixed"...
@ 1998-06-25 18:53 ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 1998-06-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Burley; +Cc: egcs

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Craig Burley wrote:

> ...to report its "full" version info, by reverting HJ Lu's patch
> of a few days ago, then I believe it is also necessary to fix
>
>   gcc/testsuite/lib/g77.exp

I just noticed that g77 -v reports itself as 'gcc'. Shouldn't it be g77?

Cheers,
Alex
--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Smoke some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

* Re: If `g77 -v' is "fixed"...
@ 1998-06-26  9:06   ` Craig Burley
From: Craig Burley @ 1998-06-26  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.buell; +Cc: egcs

>I just noticed that g77 -v reports itself as 'gcc'. Shouldn't it be g77?

It reports as `g77' on my screen, though the containing gcc driver
code than reports itself as `gcc'.  (This is unrelated to whether
HJ Lu's patch to inhibit traditional operation of `g77 -v' is
installed, BTW.)

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: If `g77 -v' is "fixed"...
@ 1998-06-26 13:32     ` Alex Buell
From: Alex Buell @ 1998-06-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Burley; +Cc: Linux-Egcs

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Craig Burley wrote:

> >I just noticed that g77 -v reports itself as 'gcc'. Shouldn't it be g77?
>
> It reports as `g77' on my screen, though the containing gcc driver
> code than reports itself as `gcc'.  (This is unrelated to whether
> HJ Lu's patch to inhibit traditional operation of `g77 -v' is
> installed, BTW.)

g77 -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-pc-linux-gnu/egcs-2.90.29/specs
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

This is what I get!

Cheers,
Alex
--

@ 1998-06-26 17:47       ` Craig Burley
From: Craig Burley @ 1998-06-26 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.buell; +Cc: egcs

>On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Craig Burley wrote:
>
>> >I just noticed that g77 -v reports itself as 'gcc'. Shouldn't it be g77?
>>
>> It reports as `g77' on my screen, though the containing gcc driver
>> code than reports itself as `gcc'.  (This is unrelated to whether
>> HJ Lu's patch to inhibit traditional operation of `g77 -v' is
>> installed, BTW.)
>
>g77 -v
>Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-pc-linux-gnu/egcs-2.90.29/specs
>gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
>
>This is what I get!

Oh, I didn't realize you were using egcs 1.0.3.  `g77 -v' acts
more like g77 0.5.2[0123] etc. in egcs now, which should be how
it works when 1.1 is released.  The other drivers (g++ etc.)
might or might not be changed to be more like g77.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: If `g77 -v' is "fixed"...
@ 1998-06-28  2:05 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-06-28  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Burley; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199806251623.MAA12054@melange.gnu.org >you write:
  > ...to report its "full" version info, by reverting HJ Lu's patch
  > of a few days ago, then I believe it is also necessary to fix
  >
  >   gcc/testsuite/lib/g77.exp
  >
  > to supply the appropriate `-Bpathname/' option (before -v), where
  > pathname is the same as in the command `pathname/g77 -v' as is
  > currently invoked.
  >
  > IMO, this change should be made for all situations where -v is
  > used to get version info, to ensure the right copy of the `specs'
  > file gets picked up.
  >
  > I don't know enough about the language these files are written
  > in (`expect', presumably) to fix these myself.
I don't know tcl all that well either.  I managed to hammer g77.exp
into submission though.

Unfortunately we have to use a totally different interface to get the
compiler to run with all the magic flags.  And that interface returns
the output from the compile in a different manner too.  Ugh.

Anyway, I think it'll start reporting stuff now.  I only bothered to
get the version # from the driver itself.  Folks with interest can
try to dig out other version information if they think it's worth the
time/effort.

jeff