* cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-10 10:37 Andreas Jaeger
From: Andreas Jaeger @ 2004-09-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I cannot checkout gcc CVS head anymore, I get:

/cvs/gcc/gcc:[0]$ cvs up ChangeLog
cvs [update aborted]: head attribute does not match file for
`/cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/ChangeLog,v'

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SUSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-10 10:58 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2004-09-10 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:05:35PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I cannot checkout gcc CVS head anymore, I get:
>
> /cvs/gcc/gcc:[0]$ cvs up ChangeLog
> cvs [update aborted]: head attribute does not match file for
> `/cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/ChangeLog,v'

Fixed.

--
America may be unique in being a country which has leapt
from barbarism to decadence without touching civilization.

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-10 12:46 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-09-10 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Jaeger, gcc

> /cvs/gcc/gcc:[0]$ cvs up ChangeLog
> cvs [update aborted]: head attribute does not match file for
> `/cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/ChangeLog,v'

It is a small metadata cache that is maintained by CVS.  It can get
inconsistent, the most common cause being a network connection going
down during a checkin.  Luckily it is easily detected and easily fixed.

Paolo

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-10 13:21   ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-09-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Andreas Jaeger, gcc

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> /cvs/gcc/gcc:[0]$ cvs up ChangeLog
>> cvs [update aborted]: head attribute does not match file for
>> `/cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/ChangeLog,v'
>

> It is a small metadata cache that is maintained by CVS.  It can get
> inconsistent, the most common cause being a network connection going
> down during a checkin.  Luckily it is easily detected and easily fixed.
or one noticing the little
	ChangeLog appears to contain change markers
message, and hitting ^C

nathan

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-10 13:53     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2004-09-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: Andreas Jaeger, gcc

>> It is a small metadata cache that is maintained by CVS.  It can get
>> inconsistent, the most common cause being a network connection going
>> down during a checkin.  Luckily it is easily detected and easily fixed.
>
> or one noticing the little
>     ChangeLog appears to contain change markers
> message, and hitting ^C

... and quickly googling the error message as soon as the retried
checkin inexorably fails :-)  I wonder why does not CVS say
abort/continue in that case, warning and going on is plain stupid...

And strictly speaking the network connection does go down upon ^C :-)

Paolo

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-11  5:58   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-09-11  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 06:37:00AM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:05:35PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>>
>> I cannot checkout gcc CVS head anymore, I get:
>>
>> /cvs/gcc/gcc:[0]$ cvs up ChangeLog
>> cvs [update aborted]: head attribute does not match file for
>> `/cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc/ChangeLog,v'
>
>Fixed.

Thanks, but, in the future, please do not remove the fileattr file.
Instead, cp /dev/null to it.

cgf

* Re: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-11  8:06     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-09-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Christopher Faylor <me@cgf.cx> writes:

> Thanks, but, in the future, please do not remove the fileattr file.
> Instead, cp /dev/null to it.

Fun fact: '> filename' is a valid Bourne shell command all by itself
and has the same effect as cp /dev/null filename.

(for slightly less obscurity, ': > filename' works too.)

zw

* RE: cvs repository broken?
@ 2004-09-14 13:29       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-09-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > Thanks, but, in the future, please do not remove the fileattr file.
> > Instead, cp /dev/null to it.
>
> Fun fact: '> filename' is a valid Bourne shell command all by itself
> and has the same effect as cp /dev/null filename.
>
> (for slightly less obscurity, ': > filename' works too.)

  Well, if we're making smileys here, ": - > filename" also works....

    cheers,
      DaveK