From: Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com>
To: <3246251196ryan@gmail.com>
Cc: Iain Sandoe <iain@sandoe.co.uk>, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Hints on reconfiguring GCC
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 14:55:18 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Ryan!

In addition to what Iain said:

On 2023-10-15T14:00:47+0100, Iain Sandoe <iain@sandoe.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 15 Oct 2023, at 13:40, R jd <3246251196ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am part of a team that ensures that GCC is ported for AmigaOS4 and the next generation hardware.
>
> :-)

:-)

>> My question is in regards to the GCC repository (https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc) at the time of commit id: 2d280e7eafc086e9df85f50ed1a6526d6a3a204d (GCC 11).

... which is the GCC 11.3 release.

>> I am trying to make a change to libstdc++-v3's crossconfig.m4 file which defines some things that are used in configure.ac which, in turn, generates the configure file.
>>
>> I have built from source AUTOCONF 2.69 and AUTOMAKE 1.15.1 which seem to be the correct versions at the time. I have prepended the binary locations to my PATH.
>>
>> Before making my desired change, if I go into libstdc++-v3 and just run "autoreconf" I see that "configure" has changed. I would have expected no change.
>
> First, I would take a look at what kinds of change have been made to configure - it’s not impossible for things to get out of sync.  If it’s just script line numbers, for example, you can probably carry on with your changes.
>
> I tend to use “autoreconf -fv” (but the basic principle is much the same)

I've quickly tried myself, and (as should be) do not see any differences
in the generated files: neither for 'autoconf -f' nor 'autoreconf -f'.
(The latter indeed is what you should use.)

>> For more information you can also see: https://github.com/sba1/adtools/pull/149.

I didn't read that one in detail, but saw mentioned "other patches" -- is
it probably the case that some earlier patch has not properly regenerated
files?

Grüße
 Thomas
Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955