Craig Burley writes: | >I'm confused about a g77 configure.in as I thought there was policy | >against one, but there used to be a test in config-lang.in for srcdir | >!= builddir. That just warned about the need for GNU make at | >configure time. I'll look into sorting something out for g77's | >makefile, but it presumably won't kick in until g77 starts building. | | Oops, I meant config-lang.in, not configure.in, you're right. Yes, | the test and message have gone away; I don't mind resurrecting | them, but feel that's really the job of the top-level makefile | to do, in this case, gcc's and egcs's, and thinking down that | avenue led to my original email on this topic. | | >Indeed. If I want GNU make, I'd be (should be) typing `gmake' on a | >non-GNU system and a test is needed at compile time, not configure | >time. | | Right, though it might be most straightforward and reliable to | have configure time lay a sort of "trap" that is either avoided | by using GNU make at compile time, or triggered by not using | GNU make then, and the effect of the trap is to print a nice | message and exit. This isn't quite the same, since GNU make isn't required to build the fileutils, but it might be useful...