* Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09  6:33 Nenad Vukicevic
From: Nenad Vukicevic @ 2012-02-09  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
following linking problem (no special configure switches):

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

Thanks,
Nenad

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 10:21 ` Ian Lance Taylor
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-02-09 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nenad Vukicevic; +Cc: gcc

Nenad Vukicevic <nenad@intrepid.com> writes:

> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>
> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.  It's a problem that must
be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.

It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.

Ian

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 10:35   ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2012-02-09 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Nenad Vukicevic, gcc

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Nenad Vukicevic <nenad@intrepid.com> writes:
>
>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>
>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
>
> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.  It's a problem that must
> be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.

Not necessarily - it's a regression in Debian, not GCC.

> It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
> older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.

Which means that Debian should at least provide some sort-of compat package
that re-wires things as GNU toolchains expect.

Richard.

@ 2012-02-09 18:16   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2012-02-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 09.02.2012 07:33, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Nenad Vukicevic<nenad@intrepid.com>  writes:
>
>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>
>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
>
> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.  It's a problem that must
> be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.
>
> It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
> older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.

a patch is pending, but afaiu, Joseph requested some kind of official definition
for the multiarch triplets which do not yet exist at this point of time.  If
this is not an absolute requirement, I can update my patch again, and only
enable it, when an explicit configure option is provided.

   Matthias

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 19:17     ` Arnaud Charlet
From: Arnaud Charlet @ 2012-02-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: gcc

>>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>>
>>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
>>
>> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.  It's a problem that must
>> be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.
>>
>> It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
>> older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.

Note that there's a simple work around:
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

So this shouldn't block GCC 4.7.

Arno

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 20:23       ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2012-02-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud Charlet; +Cc: Matthias Klose, gcc

On 02/09/2012 07:16 PM, Arnaud Charlet wrote:

>>> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.  It's a problem that must
>>> be addressed somehow before gcc 4.7 is released.
>>>
>>> It's extremely unfortunate that this will make it impossible to build
>>> older releases of gcc on newer Debian installations.
>
> Note that there's a simple work around:
> export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> So this shouldn't block GCC 4.7.

I tried that, and it is not enough (it was for a while after August, 2011).

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 22:05   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2012-02-09 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
> Nenad Vukicevic <nenad@intrepid.com> writes:

>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>
>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.

> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.

The reason, for the record, is because Debian wants to be able to support
multiarch with more than two architectures.  The /lib32 vs. /lib64
distinction doesn't allow one to use the same underlying machinery to
easily install, say, armel library and development packages because you're
doing development in a cross-compiled environment.  The general
/lib/<triplet> layout allows you to install packages from as many
different architectures as you desire.

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 23:14     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-02-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: gcc

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
>> Nenad Vukicevic <nenad@intrepid.com> writes:
>
>>> Has anybody tried to build 4.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 system. I am getting the
>>> following linking problem (no special configure switches):
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>>
>>> Noramly they under /usr/lib64, but 11.10 has them under
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
>
>> Yes.  Debian moved everything for some reason.
>
> The reason, for the record, is because Debian wants to be able to support
> multiarch with more than two architectures.  The /lib32 vs. /lib64
> distinction doesn't allow one to use the same underlying machinery to
> easily install, say, armel library and development packages because you're
> doing development in a cross-compiled environment.  The general
> /lib/<triplet> layout allows you to install packages from as many
> different architectures as you desire.

The GNU tools have handled cross-compilation for decades, so I don't
find this answer convincing as stated.  Nothing needed to change to make
cross-compilation work.

The lib64 directory does not exist for cross-compilation.  It exists
because the kernel supports two different native ABIs.

I strongly support the idea of a compatibility symlink so that older gcc
releases will continue to work.

Ian

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-09 23:53       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2012-02-09 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> The reason, for the record, is because Debian wants to be able to
>> support multiarch with more than two architectures.  The /lib32
>> vs. /lib64 distinction doesn't allow one to use the same underlying
>> machinery to easily install, say, armel library and development
>> packages because you're doing development in a cross-compiled
>> environment.  The general /lib/<triplet> layout allows you to install
>> packages from as many different architectures as you desire.

> The GNU tools have handled cross-compilation for decades, so I don't
> find this answer convincing as stated.  Nothing needed to change to make
> cross-compilation work.

It doesn't have anything to do with the GNU tools or with gcc itself.  I
agree that this change isn't necessary to make gcc work.  It's about
package management.  The goal is to be able to install the same Debian
package for various different architectures on the same system at the same
time, and one of the scenarios this helps with is cross development.

For example, suppose I'm doing development on an amd64 box targeting armel
and I want to use Kerberos libraries in my armel application.  I'd like to
be able to install the armel Kerberos libraries on my Debian system using
regular package management commands, just like any other package.  Then I
want to have the compiler, when building for armel, find the appropriate
armel header files and libraries to link my armel binaries against.  The
Debian multiarch layout strategy allows this to happen.  It's an
additional feature that isn't available in the lib32/lib64 model, since
that layout doesn't generalize to arbitrary additional architectures.

This isn't the only use case, just an example.  The embedded Debian folks
are very happy with this particular feature, which is why it came to mind.

> The lib64 directory does not exist for cross-compilation.  It exists
> because the kernel supports two different native ABIs.

Note there too the lib32/lib64 solution doesn't generalize.  What if there
is an additional ABI whose distinction isn't the bit size, such as the
armhf architecture in Debian where the distinction is support for hardware
floating point?  Using the triplet offers a general solution to this
problem and allows any number of native ABIs.

> I strongly support the idea of a compatibility symlink so that older gcc
> releases will continue to work.

I'm completely agnostic on this point.  I only replied to provide the
explanation for why Debian chose this layout rather than lib32/lib64.

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-10 10:42         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-02-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: gcc

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> For example, suppose I'm doing development on an amd64 box targeting armel
> and I want to use Kerberos libraries in my armel application.  I'd like to
> be able to install the armel Kerberos libraries on my Debian system using
> regular package management commands, just like any other package.

Just add a --sysroot option to the packager (that also transparently
translates symlinks), case closed.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-10 10:43           ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-02-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 02/10/2012 10:15 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
>> For example, suppose I'm doing development on an amd64 box targeting armel
>> and I want to use Kerberos libraries in my armel application.  I'd like to
>> be able to install the armel Kerberos libraries on my Debian system using
>> regular package management commands, just like any other package.
>
> Just add a --sysroot option to the packager (that also transparently
> translates symlinks), case closed.

Eaxctly: the packager should install packages inside the sysroot.
This is so obvious that it's hard to believe anyone would do it
differently.

Andrew.

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-10 19:01           ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2012-02-10 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

>> For example, suppose I'm doing development on an amd64 box targeting
>> armel and I want to use Kerberos libraries in my armel application.
>> I'd like to be able to install the armel Kerberos libraries on my
>> Debian system using regular package management commands, just like any
>> other package.

> Just add a --sysroot option to the packager (that also transparently
> translates symlinks), case closed.

While this addresses the cross development case, it doesn't address the
multiple native ABI case.  It's elegant to be able to use the same
solution to address multiple problems, particularly since there are other
limitations with --sysroot.  For example, I'd like apt-get upgrade, my
pinning, my repository preferences, and so forth to apply to *all* of my
installed packages rather than having to duplicate that setup work inside
various alternative package roots.  Which you can do with --sysroot, of
course, by adding more complexity to the packaging system and having it
track all the --sysroots that you've used, but with multiarch you get
those properties for free.

Anyway, I'll stop discussing this here, as it's not really on topic.  I
just wanted to provide some background, since I realize on the surface
it's a somewhat puzzling decision.

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-10 21:09             ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2012-02-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: gcc

On 02/10/2012 07:02 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Anyway, I'll stop discussing this here, as it's not really on topic.  I
> just wanted to provide some background, since I realize on the surface
> it's a somewhat puzzling decision.

Thanks for the explanation.  Is there a rationale document (and a design
document that explains what we have to expect from this change)
somewhere on the Debian web site ?

I couldn't find it, but perhaps I didn't search it right.

If this is such an obvious solution to the problems you mention, one
would assume that other distributors would clamor for it, too.

--

@ 2012-02-10 21:40               ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2012-02-10 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Toon Moene <toon@moene.org> writes:

> Thanks for the explanation.  Is there a rationale document (and a design
> document that explains what we have to expect from this change)
> somewhere on the Debian web site ?

> I couldn't find it, but perhaps I didn't search it right.

The documentation that I'm aware of is at:

    http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

The first link there is a more comprehensive statement on the discussion
that we just had.

> If this is such an obvious solution to the problems you mention, one
> would assume that other distributors would clamor for it, too.

Well, the approach that Debian (and Ubuntu) chose is a significant amount
of very disruptive work (as you're all noticing!).  It's considerably more
disruptive in some ways than the lib32/lib64 solution, particularly if one
takes into account the other things that weren't discussed in this thread,
such as overlap in package contents between packages for two different
architectures.

These sorts of designs are always tradeoffs between the level of
disruption and the level of long-term benefit, and I can certainly
understand other people making different decisions.  Debian and Ubuntu are
pursuing a direction that we think is more comprehensive and will provide
a lot of long-term benefit, but I think it's fair to say that the jury is
still out on whether that was the right tradeoff to take.

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-15 14:56         ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2012-02-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Arnaud Charlet, Matthias Klose, gcc

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 08:26:06PM +0100, Toon Moene wrote:

> >Note that there's a simple work around:
> >export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
> >
> >So this shouldn't block GCC 4.7.
>
> I tried that, and it is not enough (it was for a while after August, 2011).

With the following three lines in my .bashrc, I can build trunk on
Debian unstable just fine (both updated this Monday).  OTOH, I don't
do bootstraps on this machine if that is the problem.

export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu

Martin

* Re: Building gcc on Ubuntu 11.10
@ 2012-02-16  0:43           ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2012-02-16  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)