* Re: Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-04 15:56 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, schwab

<<Ada does not build because almost all source files have lines that are
too long.

This needs more details, since lots of people (including us) have had no
trouble building GNAT.

* Re: Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-07  5:08 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-07  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shebs, simon; +Cc: bosch, dewar, fw, gcc, schwab

> Among other things, it's a disaster when people import the FSF
> sources into their own repositories.  In the worst cases, CVS
> will actually report conflicts needing manual resolution, perhaps
> on hundreds of files.  Doesn't take too many incidents like that
> to stimulate dark and evil thoughts about the people using
> $Revision$... :-)

As I noted, the revision lines are essential for reasonable source
control in our configuration managed system, where it is essential
that we can identify any version of any source by looking at it.

But in the GCC environment, which is by nature less controlled, and
which works more by differential patches, with many variations running
around, I agree that the revision lines should be deep sixed!

* Re: Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-05  6:04 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-05  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fw, schwab; +Cc: dewar, gcc-patches, gcc

<<However, I'd really like to get rid of these $Revision$ lines after
the 3.1 release.  Besides causing all kinds of trouble, they serve no
purpose.

I agree. They are critical to our internal configuration management
process, where every version of every source file is required to be
instantly identifiable regardless of where it resides, but no one
aims at this kind of control in the gcc environment in any case.

(our here = ACT), I = Robert Dewar :-)

* Re: Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-04 16:57 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, schwab; +Cc: gcc

Ah, OK, yes, I see the problem. We will think about how to best handle
this. Perhaps we should ust get rid of the revision lines for the sources
at gnu.org.

* Re: Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-04 16:30 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-05-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, schwab; +Cc: gcc

can you give more details. What's an example of a too long line?

* Ada does not build (line too long)
@ 2002-05-04  8:32 Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-05-04  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Ada does not build because almost all source files have lines that are
too long.

Andreas.

SuSE GmbH, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg