From: "Zack Weinberg" <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: gcc-regression@gcc.gnu.org
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: new FAILs on HEAD
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

gcc@ds217-115-141-84.dedicated.hosteurope.de writes:

> If you directly receive this mail, your name is tagged to one of the ChangeLog
> entries. A copy is also mailed to gcc-regressions.
>
> These new FAILs
>
> FAIL:	c974001
>
> were caused by one of the following checkins
[snip list]
> debian GNU/Linux i686 unstable

This is NOT enough information.  To start with, I have no idea what
"c974001" means.  Even if I did, you would need to make the complete
log files from your test run available so that we can figure out what
went wrong.  By "make available" incidentally I mean "put it on a
website and post the URLs", not "attach to the message".

"debian GNU/Linux i686 unstable" is unambiguous, but it would be
better to show the output of config.guess as we are all used to
thinking in those terms.  And that information should be up top
of the message, and ideally in the Subject line too, not buried under
the changelog.

You should also publish complete details of your testing methodology
so that we can tell whether there are any problems with your set-up.

Finally, you should send your messages with a valid email address
attached to them, and your name.  I have no idea if you'll even see
this.

zw