* Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 20:39 Jason Merrill
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Jason Merrill @ 2013-07-22 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile Starynkevitch; +Cc: GCC

I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically,
I want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split
the subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual
branches.

Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
backward compatibility with existing users?

Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?

Any other thoughts?

Jason

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 20:43 ` Andrew Pinski
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2013-07-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically, I
> want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split the
> subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual branches.
>
> Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
> backward compatibility with existing users?
>
> Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?

What about distro/company branches that are in the git only or is that
included in the personal branches?

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

> Any other thoughts?
>
> Jason

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 20:57 ` Jeff Law
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeff Law @ 2013-07-22 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On 07/22/2013 02:39 PM, Jason Merrill wrote:
> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically,
> I want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split
> the subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual
> branches.
>
> Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
> backward compatibility with existing users?
>
> Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?
No strong opinions.  It might help if you gave a bit of rationale behind
the proposed change though.

Jeff

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 20:59 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2013-07-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically, I
> want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split the
> subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual branches.

Not sure if I completely understand, but would this change make it
easier to deal with subdirectory branches?  It's pretty horrid now.

I don't fully understand what you are after with these changes, but
they seem benign.

Diego.

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 21:37   ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2013-07-22 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On 07/22/2013 04:59 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically, I
>> want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split the
>> subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual branches.
>
> Not sure if I completely understand, but would this change make it
> easier to deal with subdirectory branches?  It's pretty horrid now.

That's the idea.

Jason

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-07-22 22:15     ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2013-07-22 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 04:59 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if I completely understand, but would this change make it
>> easier to deal with subdirectory branches?  It's pretty horrid now.
>

> That's the idea.

Excellent!  In that case, I'm all for it.

Diego.

* Re: Git mirror changes
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-07-23 16:28 ` Dodji Seketeli
From: Dodji Seketeli @ 2013-07-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: GCC

Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> a écrit:

> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.
> Specifically, I want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into
> heads/ and split the subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into
> the individual branches.
>
> Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
> backward compatibility with existing users?

FWIW, I'd go ahead and remove the SVN branches from remotes/* because
it'll limit confusion (incurred by the apparent duplication of bits) in
the future.  Furthermore, tt's easy for current users to adapt and
consume the bits they want from heads/ anyway.

> Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?

What do you mean by "limit" here, in practice?

I'd say just documenting that people should favor creating personal
branches would be a good start.

It's can be very handy for a group of people willing to hack together on
a feature to be able to setup a (non-personal) branch into which each
member of the group can commit.  So limit you are talking about above
should be at least flexible enough to enable that, I guess.

--
		Dodji

* Re: Git mirror changes
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-08-06 23:56 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2013-08-06 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On 22 July 2013 21:39, Jason Merrill wrote:
> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically, I
> want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split the
> subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual branches.
>
> Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
> backward compatibility with existing users?
>
> Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?
>
> Any other thoughts?

It might be unrelated, but something has changed in the Git mirror
around July 25th such that origin/master is no longer the same as
origin/trunk:

$ git rev-parse origin/trunk
775a7983ddd36f65cee7f54e23ff45da0ad106b5
$ git rev-parse origin/master
1f6ad59d8ba56b21e8f5dedb6d3792e1424962a1

The branches have the same content, but diverge after commit 149a90

$ git merge-base origin/trunk origin/master
149a90068641f143967c39dd3f3107dc6a7c8786

Was that caused by moving these branches and was it expected?

Now that I've figured out why 'git pull' and 'git svn rebase' kept
giving me different content I can easily change my upstream to
origin/trunk, but it had me confused for a while!

* Re: Git mirror changes
@ 2013-08-07  0:32   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2013-08-07  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Basile Starynkevitch, GCC

On 7 August 2013 00:56, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 22 July 2013 21:39, Jason Merrill wrote:
>> I'd like to make some changes to the GCC git-svn mirror.  Specifically, I
>> want to move all the SVN branches from remotes/ into heads/ and split the
>> subdirectory branches (redhat, google, etc) into the individual branches.
>>
>> Should I leave the SVN branches as they are in remotes/ as well, for
>> backward compatibility with existing users?
>>
>> Do we want to limit creation of non-personal branches via git?
>>
>> Any other thoughts?
>
> It might be unrelated, but something has changed in the Git mirror
> around July 25th such that origin/master is no longer the same as
> origin/trunk:
>
> $ git rev-parse origin/trunk
> 775a7983ddd36f65cee7f54e23ff45da0ad106b5
> $ git rev-parse origin/master
> 1f6ad59d8ba56b21e8f5dedb6d3792e1424962a1
>
> The branches have the same content, but diverge after commit 149a90
>
> $ git merge-base origin/trunk origin/master
> 149a90068641f143967c39dd3f3107dc6a7c8786
>
> Was that caused by moving these branches and was it expected?
>
> Now that I've figured out why 'git pull' and 'git svn rebase' kept
> giving me different content I can easily change my upstream to
> origin/trunk, but it had me confused for a while!

Hmm, this might have been caused by some weird config on my side.
After some changes I can't reproduce it now.