From: "Zack Weinberg" <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com>
Cc: Roger Sayle <roger@eyesopen.com>,
	 Arnaud Charlet <charlet@ACT-Europe.FR>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org,  Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>,
	Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz>
Subject: Re: Ada updates frozen
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Geert Bosch <bosch@gnat.com> writes:

> On Nov 2, 2003, at 9:11 AM, Roger Sayle wrote:
>> I think you are well within your rights to invoke the "patch reversion"
>> rule and start the 48-hour clock ticking.  If x86/IA-64 bootstrap can't
>> be restored on mainline by Tuesday the patches should be pulled, or the
>> problematic aspects temporarily disabled.
>
> Given the significant problems this patch introduces, I would
> appreciate it if Jan would revert this patch, until the regressions
> are resolved.
>
> Richard Kenner already implemented the required changes for gigi
> (the Ada front end/back end interface), but these are on hold now.
> It will be a few days before the remaining front end work is
> finished.

I am presently testing a patch which reverts GET_MODE_BITSIZE to its
original meaning (i.e. GET_MODE_SIZE * BITS_PER_UNIT) and introduces
a new macro GET_MODE_PRECISION which is used in a very few places
(notably mode_for_size).  I think this should be an adequate bandage
to restore Ada bootstrap so that work can go forward on the complete
solution.  However, there are still some issues with the patch, so I
cannot provide it just yet, but I intend to have them worked out by
the end of the day.

zw