* gcc branches?
@ 2002-12-02 16:58 Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2002-12-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Any ETA on when the gcc trunk will be open again for
non-bug-fixes?  I've got two space-reduction patches
I'd like to check in soon, and I'm trying to figure out
whether to check in to the 3_4-basic-improvements-branch
or wait until the trunk is open.

Will someone automatically merge in changes from the 3.4
branch into the trunk, or are each of us responsible for
our own merges?  I hope the former, though if there are
any conflicts that may be difficult.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: on reputation and lines and putting things places (Re: gcc branches?)
@ 2002-12-08  1:56 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-12-08  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lord, phil; +Cc: gcc, per

> This list is advertised as the best way to communicate with the SC.
> The SC is the best way to communicate with the corporations.

(first I will put on my hat as president of a corporation devoted to
the use of Free Software).

This has things upside down. We do things because of input from our
customers. if someone tells us "gee, we would really like to have
arch working nicely with Ada, and we have $$$ to backup the request",
we will be very glad to talk and look. But I am afraid we are not
about to pay any attention to someone on the SC (or the whole SC
for that matter) exhorting us to use our resources on arch because
they think it would be a "good thing".

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

P.S. The idea that R&D does not get cut back during a recession is at best
wishful thinking, and at worst hopelessly naive. Now at ACT, it is defintiely
the case that we have not cut back on R&D, but that's because the recession
has not affected us significantly, and we continue to grow steadily.

I really think that if you want arch (or any other technology) to succeed,
convince some large scale users that they want it!

* Re: on reputation and lines and putting things places (Re: gcc branches?)
@ 2002-12-08  2:48 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-12-08  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, lord; +Cc: gcc

> Is "second" your hacker/engineer hat?  That's the guy I want to talk
> with.  When you start asking questions about patch set formats and
> their implications in context, then I'll know you are on the right
> track.  When you start asking questions about global namespaces for
> revisions (changesets), by then we'll be getting along famously.  When
> you start asking about how to automate various aspects of the GCC
> process in an arch-based framework, I'll [censored] and send you to
> heaven.

I was responding specifically to your idea that the SC could approach
corporations to get funding. This part of your previous message was
about money, not about hacking. And I was specifically addressing
that request. Once again, if you want to extract funds from corporations
big or small you can't do it by exhoration, you have to show value unless
you are specifically asking for charity type handouts. Corporations
certainly do make such contributions, but there is a long line :-)

> Yeah, but, you're comparitively dinky anyway, right?  I don't mean
> that as an insult.  You're a successful but relatively tiny corp?  If
> so, I'm not talking to you (while you're wearing that hat).  I do hope
> to make your life better as a side effect, though -- and to help
> others succeed at similar scales.  Hurray for human-scale corps!  You
> go girl (flippency aside: tiny corps are really cool, if you ask me).

Now I begin to get some real sense of why you get nowhere. You seem to
to think you can get people to help you by insulting them. I have seen
you do this to the SC, and to individuals. It's a strange way to try
to win friends and supporters.

In fact a successful small corporation like ACT potentially is a much
better friend for you than RH or IBM, or any other large public company
that must answer to stock holkders or outside investors.

We have a 35 engineers who are very competent and entirely devoted to
the continued development of free software. We spend a lot of resources
in developing FS (for example, our current development of GPS).

> Hmm.  Too bad its _so_ unfashionable to talk about engineering ethics
> -- otherwise I'd be able to flame you for that comment in the manner
> it deserves without having to endure lots of stupid replies.  Customers
> are hyper-super-double-plus-ultimate-thats-why-we-are-here important,
> but their demands do not trump fundamentals.  Our relationship with customers
> must be a two-way street.

I find this statement quite arrogant. I trust our customers a lot more
frankly than I trust you, since you so obviously have a (big) axe to
grind. Yes, I understand that you think this project is wonderful and
essential and valuable. Well so far that does not distinguish it from
dozens of other projects ranging in worth from dubious to useful. You
have to convince others of this fact, and you may be competent at
software developemnt (or not, I have no idea), but for sure your
competence in persuading other people is minimal. It just won't do to
call people unethical and stupid for disagreement with you.

If this interchange had managed to convince me that arch was of interest,
then I would be quite happy to have a look to see whether it might meet
our customers needs. Obviously customer needs are often expressed in very
general terms (we need a good IDE, we need a good CM system etc). And in
such cases, we definitely play an active role in suggesting (and developing)
appropriate solutions.

It really doesn't sound like you need $10 million and a team of 50 engineers
for this project. On the contrary it sounds like a relatively small
investment of effort by competent people could make a big difference. But
you seem more interested in fulminating than illuminating.

I have really learned nothing about arch from the thread that would entice
me to take a closer look, on the contrary, it has left a rather negative
impression. The idea that one should look at source code to figure out
what it is about is in particular a bit absurd.

It is rather sad to see what may possibly (for all I know) be a really
valuable project hanmpered and sabotaged by incompetent advocacy.

* Re: on reputation and lines and putting things places (Re: gcc branches?)
@ 2002-12-08  7:13 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-12-08  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, lord; +Cc: gcc

> That's pretty much what I'd guessed.  I'll reiterate: you go girl!
> That's cool.  I admire you.  Human scaled, competent, successful:
> neat!  Sheesh.  Are you just flipping out over my use of the word
> "dinky"?

No, it is just the entire style of your presentation.

> I've started to believe that there is no variation on advocacy that
> could possibly succeed given presumptions such as you have exhibited.
> It is interesting to try to trace those presumptions back to their
> origins (*cough*cygnus).  Yet another "bash on Tom" day, I guess.

I would tend to agree if it is you doing the advocacy. My best advice,
find someone who knows how to approach other people successfully.

> I don't know much at all about ACT

So I see :-)

> I'm "not talking to" ACT because, at your scale, my R&D funding needs
> are too big for you and not central enough to your mission.

Well how do you know? Given the previous quote?
In fact CM and revision control systems are quite critical to many of our
customers. We have several customers managing systems with tens of thousands
of files and millions of lines of code. Remember that the niche Ada occupies
is large scale mission critical systems.

Perhaps you are missing an opportunity here, though I must say the phrase
"my R&D" funding needs is worryingly personal, and as I said earlier, if
the intent of this thread was to encourage people to look at arch, it
has not worked with me.