Dave Blanchard writes: > On Tue, 9 May 2023 16:14:28 +0100 > Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote: > >> This isn't "be like Clang", this is "diagnose things that have been >> invalid C since 1999". > > And in the process, break half of my system, and make it even more of a pain in > the ass to compile old software. With no real gain or benefit whatsoever. To > hell with that bullshit. Your system seems to be already broken. You're actively dismissing the benefit. >> Accepting invalid code by default is a disservice to users. Those who >> need to compile invalid C code can use an extra option to allow it, >> the default should be to tell users their code is doing something bad. > > The default ALREADY IS to tell users their code is doing something bad. It's > called a "warning." Hello? This construct is a blatant error and is easily fixable. Not to mention that it has been invalid, just the same as 'if {foo() == 3} ( bar{} );' is. We're currently not emitting a warning and accepting such code, so I don't see why this blatantly invalid construct should be taken differently, especially when it is an exception rather than a rule in practice. Have a great day. -- Arsen Arsenović