From: "Jose E. Marchesi" <jose.marchesi@oracle.com>
To: NightStrike via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Cc: Junk Trash <junk.trash.36@hotmail.com>,
	NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Using CMake for building GCC
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:07:53 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2022, 10:30 Junk Trash via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to get the opinions of GCC developers regarding adding CMake as a
>> build system for GCC. Is it something you would like, something you are
>> neutral about, or something you are strongly against?
>>
>> Thanks for your valuable feedback!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> JT
>>

> The high level premise of autotools is to make life harder for the build
> system maintainer of a project and easier for a user. This makes sense on
> several levels, including portability and familiarity. Cmake, on the other
> hand, makes life somewhat easier for the build system maintainer (I
> suppose) and harder for the user. This works for a pet project or something
> without wide distribution, but I don't personally find it to be a good
> design principle for usable and portable software.
>
> Autotools isn't perfect (configure steps are slow, for instance), but it's
> robust, reliable, portable, and trivial for an end user.

Very well said.  Distributed source tarballs are a blessing for both
distros and users.

Often people suggesting replacing autotools with CMake do so under the
assumption these two programs do the same thing: they don't.

I would very strongly oppose using CMake for building any program I
contribute to, and I would certainly never use it in any program I
maintain myself.