* Question: dynamic libraries?
@ 2000-09-21 14:57 Alejandro Arredondo
From: Alejandro Arredondo @ 2000-09-21 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

   I don't know if this is the right place to ask for
this question, but I would like to know how can I
compile a dynamic library in Linux? or where can I get
information about dynamic libraries for Linux?

Thank You!

Free E-mail --->
http://letodesigns.mail.everyone.net
Letodesigns & Programming Free e-mail
6MB limit
http://letodesigns.8k.com

* Re: Question: dynamic libraries?
@ 2000-09-21 15:21 ` H . J . Lu
From: H . J . Lu @ 2000-09-21 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Arredondo; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 02:57:20PM -0700, Alejandro Arredondo wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I don't know if this is the right place to ask for
> this question, but I would like to know how can I
> compile a dynamic library in Linux? or where can I get
> information about dynamic libraries for Linux?

I have a very old paper:

http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/support/hjl/doc/elf.ps.gz

Some contents are out of date, like libc 5 vs glibc 2. But it may be
still useful to you.

H.J.

* Re: Question: dynamic libraries?
@ 2000-09-21 17:08   ` Paul Schulz
From: Paul Schulz @ 2000-09-21 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H . J . Lu; +Cc: gcc

Sorry if this isn't immediately useful, but a good introduction can be
found in the book:

"Application Programming for Linux"
(can't remember the Author, yellow in hard cover cover)

I use the options to gcc:
CFLAGS = -g -O2 -shared -fPIC -Wl,-soname,$(SONAME)

where SONAME is the shared libary version number.
(Allows the dynamic linker to do it's thing, when multiple
versions of the library are found).

PaulS