* Re: Disable warnings in code
@ 2003-11-15 18:14 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-11-15 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, tron.thomas

> What is the reason that the GCC compiler does not support a feature to
> disable compiler warning from within the source code?
> Most other major compiler support this capability.  What is GCC's
> reluctance to implement it?

Not clear there is any reluctance here. If you think it
is a useful feature, propose a language feature and propose an
implementation.

Note that this feature does exist in GNAT (pragma Warnings)

* Re: Disable warnings in code
@ 2003-11-29  2:33 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-11-29  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: gcc, tron.thomas

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

>> What is the reason that the GCC compiler does not support a feature to
>> disable compiler warning from within the source code?
>> Most other major compiler support this capability.  What is GCC's
>> reluctance to implement it?
>
> Not clear there is any reluctance here. If you think it
> is a useful feature, propose a language feature and propose an
> implementation.

It has come up several times before and the consensus is that it's a
desirable feature in the abstract.  However, there was not agreement
on the details - in particular, there was a general desire not to do
it by giving all the warnings numeric codes, which is the simple way
used by most compilers with this feature.  I agree with this desire,
for the record.  So another way has to be found, and no one has done
that yet to everyone's satisfaction.

The other stumbling block is lack of developer time.  If you code an
implementation and post it for review, that will help.

zw

* Disable warnings in code
@ 2003-11-15 12:28 Tron Thomas